Lowering a floor made of a mix of concrete and tile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After removing the floating floor in my kitchen of my Edwardian terrace, I discovered a nasty, pockmarked tile floor with large patches of concrete (location of former chimney breast (3m x 60cm) and to run central heating pipes).

The floor isn't level, so I want to apply self-levelling compound before I put a new floor over it (bamboo). The problem with this is that the final floor level will be too high and not be flush with the hallway.

I'm thinking of lowering the floor by removing the tiles and what I assume is a layer of self levelling concrete. Both come off with a bit of chisel work.

However, once that's all done, the concrete used to fill in the former chimney breast will stick out - I've no idea on how to shave that off / deal with.

For extra fun, the central heating plumbing runs along the edge of the floor & wall. In places it seems buried in concrete.

Is this a can of worms best left untouched and should I just suck up the level difference after putting SLC over the tile? Keep in mind I want to acoustically insulate the wall (noisy neighbours) along which the central heating pipes run, so the radiator will need to be moved away from the wall anyway, requiring access to those pipes.

If not, how do I tackle it (either DIY or professionally if it won't cost an arm & a leg).

Sponsored Links
Picture 5 the screed has blown at the top, looks like a water mix screed that wasn't primed, that needs to come up. I would take the ceramics up to so back down to the base then go from there. How many m2is the area.

Picture 5 the screed has blown at the top, looks like a water mix screed that wasn't primed, that needs to come up. I would take the ceramics up to so back down to the base then go from there. How many m2is the area.

The kitchen is 6.3m x 3.1m, so about 19.m2. The screed bit is about 2m2.

There could be a different explanation for the cracking in #5. The kitchen suffered for months from a leak (well, it suffered from &%$ retarded tenants that ignored it and just mopped) that ruined most kitchen cabinets.

The water pooled under the laminate flooring - the screed was a dark grey when I rippped up the kitchen. It's been drying for two months now - it seems fine/stable now. The house was unheated while the tenants were in there, drying was normal central heating being on and leaving floor surface exposed to air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back