LS-X inside a compression joint - let it dry ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you use LS-X inside a compression joint (as an alternative to say, PTFE tape), do you need to let it 'dry' before repressurizing the cold water mains ?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Why use either?
When paste is all you need!
Granted, you may not have any.

Sponsored Links
LSX "sets" by exposure to the moisture in the air. It stays rubbery. Holding a damp rag next to it, or misting it with a plant sprayer, speeds it up.

If your turn or undo the fitting, it will break. You cannot tighten it.

Why did you decide to use it?

We have a compression joint that has a very tiny weep, hardly anything. We nipped it up and it hasn't solved it.
Other compression joints on the same job have sealed perfectly. All variables that we have control over are the same.

From what I have read, paste is linseed oil and chalk. That would seem a good idea as the chalk could get into any micro gaps. Might try that.
What make should I get from Toolstation, Wickes or Screwfix ?

We have a compression joint that has a very tiny weep, hardly anything. We nipped it up and it hasn't solved it.
Other compression joints on the same job have sealed perfectly. All variables that we have control over are the same.

From what I have read, paste is linseed oil and chalk. That would seem a good idea as the chalk could get into any micro gaps. Might try that.
What make should I get from Toolstation, Wickes or Screwfix ?

I find PTFE tape on the olive is good for sealing irregularities. You will have to open and clean the joint so verify that the pipe and olive have properly entered and seated. Check there is no unwanted material such as old compound in the joint. If you have been trying to nip it up the olive is probably crushed onto the pipe now.

We shall have a look tomorrow, thank you for your suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back