Lubricating a ceramic disk tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought some new taps for my bathroom. They are both mixer taps with a single control which is like a joystick that comes out of the top of the tap. When it's pulled towards you it turns off, and when it's pushed away it turns on, with pushing it to the left and right mixing the hot and cold water.

My problem is that the joystick type control is pretty stiff on both taps. It's therefore hard to get the controls in the right place, as it's hard to move the joystick, and small movements are pretty much impossible.

I have tried disassembling the taps and spraying wd40 into the bit where the joystick comes out of the top of the tap, but it made no difference to the smoothness of operation. Is there a different type of lubrication I should be using? Am I lubricating the correct part of the tap? It looks to be the moving part and looks to be ceramic.

Any help much appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
Silicone lubricant is a better choice unfortunately wd40 can perish rubber seals as it is a penetrating agent.

Pete

never use WD40, only silicone spray as mentioned. ceramic disc type taps do not need any lubrication. You will just have to use it to wear it in.

Sponsored Links
Cool. That would explain why the rubber seal holding the top bit of the tap on snapped and I had to buy a new one :oops:

I'll try out the silicone spray. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back