Lubricating door cylinders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who lubricates their door cylinders regularly? :rolleyes: And what with.

I've had various cylinders for decades and not bothered, and there have been no problems. The cylinders have only been cheap Yales or no-names too.

About six months ago I fitted an expensive "quality" 3* plus eurocylinder that cost me 3 or 4x what I would normally pay, and the damn thing started to bind after five months, requiring me to dismantle door furniture and remove the lock to remove the cylinder to sort it out :mad:

Then, as if they were watching and taking the piiss, I only get an email out of the blue from the manufacturer telling me it was time for the cylinder's six-monthly service lubrication. WTF?

They said I must use graphite powder (preferably their expensive stuff), but my little secret is that I'd already sprayed it with WD40 dry PTFT!

Googling around, I see that almost everyone/every site says "don't use oil or WD40 to lubricate, but use dry powder" - the reason cited it that oil gunks up. However, bizarrely, Abus a quality lock maker about 100 years old produce a spray oil for their locks!

Sponsored Links
I lubricated a Banham lock with graphite, I put so much in that the lock completely jammed. I had to put a vacuum on it to suck some out.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

I've made the mistake once before in using wd40 on my up and over garage door and it soon gummed up, no harm done just as just replaced it, since then always used a dry lube like graphite or if your cheap just crush up some pencil lead or rub it on the key

Likewise - used to use dry graphite powder but swapped to Abus P88 Lock Lube maybe 10 years back as it seems to penetrate better and isn't as messy as graphite. If it is an oil, it is very runny - it's more like WD40 (almost watery) - but it does help cope with frost and ice in outdoor padlocks as well as lubricating them. According to RS Components it is naptha-based but I honestly don't know

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Buy graphite spray.
2 seconds job and keeps lock smooth.
It dries in a few seconds leaving only the graphite powder to do the work.

Ultion by any chance? I got some cheapo graphite powder from eBay rather than their overpriced stuff.

Ultion by any chance? I got some cheapo graphite powder from eBay rather than their overpriced stuff.
Yeah. :rolleyes:

I also suspect the massive key slot may have allowed grit or something in to cause the cylinder to catch and not rotate properly.

I notice that their branded powder is in exactly the same container as a CK product - which is half the price. :cautious:

I stil can't understand how Abus can have a oil/ liquid product for their locks, and other manufacturers frown at even the mention.

Neither do I, but I got my first can from a locksmith's firm years back (they sold Abus padlocks) and it does work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back