Luke warm DHW from Vaillant EcoTech plus 831

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening – hoping for some ideas here.....

Just before Xmas (18th Dec) we had a new Vaillant Ecotech plus 831 fitted. All was fine for a few days then suddenly on the afternoon of a very, very windy 23rd Dec the hotwater (set at 60C) just stopped being hot and came out of the taps luke warm. We rang the installer who was going to come out on Xmas eve but as we were going away we said no worries he could come after the new year….

We returned on 2nd January – DHW still luke warm. 3rd January suddenly it started working again (no settings changed - DHW set to 60C, boiler showing approx. 71C when heating the DHW) – the installer still came on Monday 6th January – confirmed DHW out of taps was now OK at 60C and could not find anything wrong so we agreed we’d watch and wait.. Later that evening when he’d left (of course) – DHW back to luke warm……(we have one tap that is non mixer so we knew it wasn’t a mixer tap issue) so Tue 7th he arranged for Vaillant engineer to visit today (Fri 10th).

Of course in between arranging the visit and the Valliant engineer arriving the DHW went back to being OK (after a couple more incidents of being luke warm for a while over this week) so of course he found nothing wrong during his 20mins here this morning…So all very frustrating – kinda like taking your car to the garage when it has an issue but they can’t replicate it even though you know it has an intermittent fault – you start to think they believe you’re making it up when you’re not.

Have any of you come across a similar situation and eventually discovered the reason for this intermittment luke warm DHW issue ? I’d like to keep on top of this in case Vaillant try to charge us for the visit as I feel it’s not right a new boiler should play up at all.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Hang on. My magic wand says, what will you do with my information if I tell you? You've paid for a new boiler, installer has no idea. Get him back.

Hang on. My magic wand says, what will you do with my information if I tell you? You've paid for a new boiler, installer has no idea. Get him back.

Well... if it all stays OK and never happens again I won't do anything with the info you'll kindly supply. If it does happen again (issue is it has been totally random and intermittent and not happened when installer/engineer has been) then I can say an expert has waved his nagic wand and has suggested it may be X/Y/Z - then they can try that... Thx

Do you have a programmable thermostat fitted? If so which make and model?

Sponsored Links

Well... if it all stays OK and never happens again I won't do anything with the info you'll kindly supply. If it does happen again (issue is it has been totally random and intermittent and not happened when installer/engineer has been) then I can say an expert has waved his nagic wand and has suggested it may be X/Y/Z - then they can try that... Thx

Your money. I have hot water all the time. Hope that helps.

Yes - a Solus ST620VBC. - the part that connects to the boiler fits into a slot at the from of the Vaillant - the programmer bit is downstairs in the hallway was free standing for first few days but now on the wall

Could this be a faulty mixer tap somewhere? Letting cold pass into the hot when the tap is off but only if the tap lever is left in the middle (mix) position.

I'm not a pro so this may be a stupid idea.

That is a very distinct possibility Mike. Not stupid at all.

Way to identify is to close cold feed into boiler and try each hot tap in turn whilst moving each one of the mixer controls to all positions in turn.

best with two people. Needs patience to cover all possibilities.

No water should ever come out of the hot tap.

Tony

Yes - a Solus ST620VBC. - the part that connects to the boiler fits into a slot at the from of the Vaillant - the programmer bit is downstairs in the hallway was free standing for first few days but now on the wall

Is the Solus compatible with Vailant boilers? I thought only Vaillant controls could be 'fitted' to Vaillant boilers as they have specific connectors ready to accept only their own controls. Maybe wrong here!

(The reason I asked the question was to establish whether your programmable thermostat was also controlling the hot water temperature as some Vaillant's do.)

That Solus has been cleverly designed to replace the Vaillant front panel timeclocks.

It only uses the on/off controls and not the E-Bus.

See here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtCIIQOwAc

A good idea!

The Vokera E-Bus control should in theory work with Vaillants as they are all meant to use the same protocol.

But I am still waiting for some of the Vaillant enthusiasts to publish the result of their experiments!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back