Lutron lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone here installed or had installed a Lutron lighting system for a large house?

If so, what could someone typically expect to get quoted for a whole house with six bedrooms and say three reception rooms and a kitchen and 2 hallways?

I know it depends on how many lighting circuits you have in each room, but assuming a high end finish, what would I be looking at as a minimum price as well as a range?

Finally, does the system require a fanned cooling system in one of those racks so even if everything is switched off, it feels like a small server room or plan room with the warmth?

Sponsored Links
Don't …… there are far nicer products out there and a dam site better looking and cheaper i.e. Futronix ?

Sorry (n)

DS

I was seeing some lighting shops today as I am at first fix. They're still pushing this technology about when I'm so tempted at the moment to go for z-wave which can do lighting controls and much much more than just lighting. But I want an informed answer before I accept by own biased views.

Sponsored Links
In its basic form, lighting control of several circuits with one button.

I don't want this thread to turn into a "whats wrong with a switch"!?

Fair enough but do consider what can be wrong with a complex control system. And when people visit you and they stay overnight have an instruction manual ready so they can learn how to turn on the lights they need.

In its basic form, lighting control of several circuits with one button.

OK.

But as you used the term "basic", why do you need the most basic level of control to be several circuits with one button?

Is this not a classic example of a solution in search of a problem?

The reason I asked is because I want to know what people actually use this stuff for. In real installations.

I have been to many properties with various types of systems installed. In every case, they had small control pads/switches/etc by the door to each room and used that to switch the lights on and off. Central control panels, touch screen displays, remote control devices, programmed/timed options and phone apps etc. were not used for anything even though it was all there.

In one, the installer had fitted dimmer modules for all the lights in every room. A whole rack of the things. Those living there were not pleased that they could only use incandescent lamps, CFLs and LEDs did not work.

Another had two buttons by the door in each bathroom. The two buttons were in the same plate and identical.
If you pressed the first button for a short period, the lights switched on and extractor started.
Pressing it again turned the lights off but not the extractor. It turned off after several minutes.
If you pressed and held the button, the lights would dim up and down in a cycle until you released the button.
If you left the lights set to the minimum brightness (virtually off) and then pressed the button to turn the light off, the next time they would switch on at that same low level.
The other button would switch the extractor on without the lights, and it would then run for several minutes.
Pressing the extractor button when it was already running did nothing.
These bathrooms had no windows, so the lights were always used.

A third place had some large vertical blinds with an electric motorised track. There were 4 identical buttons by the door, 2 for lights in the room, one opened or closed the curtains, the last button did nothing.
If you pressed the curtains button when it was halfway through opening or closing, the direction would instantly reverse causing most of the vertical slats to fall off.
Adjusting the angle of the slats was done in the usual way by turning a rod attached to the blinds.

I was in a house recently where the guy had an audio set up throughout his house, wired back to a central hub. Then in each room there was a control unit for choosing your audio source etc. In each one of these control panels, there was an iPod dock. With a 30-pin dock connector.....:sick:

Has anyone here installed or had installed a Lutron lighting system for a large house?

If so, what could someone typically expect to get quoted for a whole house with six bedrooms and say three reception rooms and a kitchen and 2 hallways?

I know it depends on how many lighting circuits you have in each room, but assuming a high end finish, what would I be looking at as a minimum price as well as a range?

Finally, does the system require a fanned cooling system in one of those racks so even if everything is switched off, it feels like a small server room or plan room with the warmth?

What's wrong with a switch?

One famous "inventor" used to give his guests a tab to carry around the house. As they moved from room to room their choice of music woud follow them. Wake up to music, it follws you into the shower and then down to breakfast........

Brilliant, until two guests with different tastes in music were in the same room. The guests could then tell who was the most favoured guest by whose choice of music over rode the others. Embarrassing

One famous "inventor" used to give his guests a tab to carry around the house. As they moved from room to room their choice of music woud follow them. Wake up to music, it follws you into the shower and then down to breakfast........

Brilliant, until two guests with different tastes in music were in the same room. The guests could then tell who was the most favoured guest by whose choice of music over rode the others. Embarrassing
Were his initials BG by any chance? I'm sure I've read that story

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back