M2 Consumer Units - Should I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard a couple of people mention, including the chappie who I deal with at CEF (who's brand it is, I beleive) mention M2 Consumer Units.
On further inspection they are really quite cheap, and my local counter can get hold of RCBO's for them quickly and cheaply (will probably be stocking soon).

Now, I'm a Hager man myself because I, like the next spark hate a cr@p CU, but for the price, are these units worth a try, (sure I can wangle a really cheap one from CEF to try) or am I going to spend in time what I save in cost screaming at the thing? :mad:

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Good point, that said, about 5 years back I used to be a Crabtree fan, never looked back!
Only investigating M2 so I can knock a bit off CU upgrades what with increased RCD protection in the 17th.

Why do you think they are really cheap?

Ask your rep at city about the deal they usually do for M2 CUs.

My rep offers a free fire extinguisher with every CU :LOL:

Sponsored Links
One of my favourite "good old days" experiences at CEF was when I was in a branch (not my own) for a meeting with a Proteus rep, as it was closer to home than the branch I worked at.

While waiting on the counter to be shown to the meeting room, we were both looking around and the Proteus rep spotted a poster the branch had clearly made themselves that warned against cheap CUs. It displayed a suitably scary picture of a fire damaged room, all black and charred, and in the middle, a burnt and melted CU, in what apeared to be standard Proteus colours and style!

I quickly tried to reassure him that it was probably a Hager, and the boys on our team wouldn't be so silly, but I was never sure, and to be honest, I know which I would trust more!

I wouldn't knock all of it in general, and some of the in-house products were great, a lot of Proteus being old style Wylex and Bill, but M2 was never a favourite of mine.

I've never known of any problems with proteus CUs

IMGP1658.jpg

IMGP1661.jpg

IMGP1663.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back