M42 adaptors for canon DSLR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought myself a used canon 400D, very pleased with myself :)
now, I have a 18-55mm lens and an 80-200 that came with the camera.

however, I have a selection of lenses for my old zenit SLR, that I would like to use with my new aquisition, especially my old 80-200 (which, I believe is closer to 300 on a DSLR and me 3x converter (giving me huge telephoto capabilites)

now, the canon lenses have a chip in them, giving the camera info on the lens, if this is not present, will the camera have a fit and refuse to work, or is it (as I hope) just going to accept it, maybe give an error message, but still work?

bearing in mind these lenses are completly manual anyway, would a £5 adaptor be ok? or do I need a chip (which can be purchased) to trick the camera into thinking that its ok??

Sponsored Links
It should work just fine although you may lose infinity focus because of the additional thickness of the mount.

cheers, apparently the canon cameras are less susceptible to loss of infinity focus than some others, Ill just see what happens when it arrives.

I did the same with a 1000D with no trouble at all, you need to set the camera to full manual of exposure (time) priority

Sponsored Links
cheers, although I thought you could use them with either full manual or aperture priority (leaving the camera to work the shutter speed out)

either way, it will be fine, my last SLR was fully manual, it had just 2 lights for light metering

In the end I picked up some decent lenses from Fleabay at good prices so now use them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back