M6 nut fitting for bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to get my fiat scudo 2006 ready for it MOT after a long lay off and found that the bracket for the ABS cable has no captive nut to screw in to. I have had a search around but am unable to find the correct type of fitting. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. It needs to fit in the rectangular hole which is about 7.5mm wide.
cable mount.jpg

Sponsored Links
Might be a Spire Nut. You pic obscures the edge of the panel. It is pushed over the edge like a clip.

Stainless ones are hard to find so I like to spray paint first. Grease the thread once the paint is hard.

Americans call them Chimney nuts.

M6 is a popular size.

1691934128667.png

If you can afford it, buy a new stainless screw as well. And derust and paint your panel (unless you are a professional and don't care)

For a blind hole you can sometimes push in a Rubnut or rivet. It expands to grip as you tighten the screw.

1691934560019.png

Sponsored Links
there is not an "edge" to slip a chimney nut over, it will have to be some sort of cage nut that inserts from the front as it is a box section with no access from the back.

There may have been a ‘cage’ nut there, but more likely just a spot welded one that has long gone.
How about post #3?
John

Yes, I know.....but can’t you fix it to the other one?
It looks like you’ll be able to get a nut behind.
John

We are talking about the round hole below the rectangular one, aren’t we? It looks like you can get a nut behind.
However if not, if you have a long pop rivet, 5mm diameter and 12mm long, you could probably fix to the original place that way.......the rivet compresses enough to get a fix if it’s a long one.
Careful removing the cable from the bracket, it will be tight but it will release with some WD40 or whatever.
John

the round hold is in the wheel arch liner which is held between the bracket and the rectangular hole which is why i am saying i need to attach it to something fitted to the rectangular hole

Take a photo of the one on the other side and you'll know exactly what it is.
It will probably be someting like these.

Ok, that’s quite a bit clearer now.
How about the pop rivet? If it doesn’t grip you can drill it out again.
It probably wouldn’t matter if it was left loose anyway, but you could consider an epoxy adhesive.
John

racks for audio gear etc use these. A music shop might have them, You can buy stainless and no doubt Amazon have them.
just make sure that the metal around the hole is ok.

Sponsored Links
Back