MACALLISTER ROUTER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any experience of Macallister routers - these appear to be only available from B&Q (it appears that the Kingfisher Group - includes B&Q, Screwfix (in UK), Castorama and Brico Depot (in France) have a purchasing policy for Performance Power and Macallister tools so do not appear to be sold by other retailers) Think Macallister are part of CAT in USA??

I was looking at Macallister COD1500R priced at £59.98 - no load speed 26000rpm, 3x collets 1/4", 8mm & 1/2" - wanted something that can be used for cutting worktops (but not exclusively for that purpose) Didn't want to spent a fortune but don't want to waste money on something that is unreliable - although it is guaranteed for 3 years.

Any comments or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
I bought the cheapest 1/4" from screwfix £23.99 as I knew it would get very little use, and was planning on getting a better one if I was going to use it more. Well what can I say, its not the best router I've handled and the plunge action is utterly hopeless however 'does the job' I'd expect that mcCallister one is of similar build quality. Normally the cheaper end of the power tool market are all much of a muchness and you will find they are all mostly rebadged generic stuff.

Thanks Neds,

Bought a Blacker & Decker KW900EKA router which was marked down at B&Q from £70 to £42 in clearance sale (not discontinued as still listed on B&D website) but this was a 1/4" collet model - said that 3 collets up to 8mm were in box but these were missing. Took it back to B&Q for refund. This looked a nice well built model and would have done the job - however I have one task (cutting hole in worktop) that needed a longer bit, say 45-50mm which is only available with 1/2" collet. Hence need to consider the Macallister model. At the moment B&Q are selling the Macallister marked down by £20 to £59.98 - worthy of consideration??

I will only be using the router for DIY so won't be used excessively - on this basis do you think it should be suitable. B&D have a 1/2" router but can't find anyone who sells it? http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/XTW1500EKA/ - not sure how much this is, if reasonable might consider. Another forum member said DeWalt is part of Black&Decker (bit like Mini Cooper and BMW eh?)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, John

There are loads of Makita routers on E-Bay, I got a 3612 brand new for a hundred quid, bargain...PS if you are cutting worktops and you are seeing the edge get a decent carbide cutter if you are only cutting a hole for a sink which will not show, use a jigsaw...

Sponsored Links
I,ve just came from B&Q and they are getting rid of old stock. Triton routers were selling for £89 . normally a couple of hundred. Bargain.

The MacAllister routers are ok for DIY stuff and are exclusivly distributed through B&Q, but if your going to cut a lot of worktops then I would go for a better router, I use a Freud FT2000VCE half inch router and it has never let me down and is very powerful.

he is from America there is a time difference :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back