mad radiator - please please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a new house just a under a year ago.

we have an 80eco baxi combi boiler thats not very old and the 2 rads upstairs had thermstat valves.

Its mainly a prob with the main bedroom radiator whcih its the one connected to pipes from the boiler to feed the rads upstairs.

It used to bang abit on a morning when it first came on, so we thought it was because of the pipes leading to upstairs as they were very shallow behind the plaster in the dining room and there was a crack where the pipes had expanded. so we got a gas firm to chase around the pipes and he put to wooden batons up either side of the pipes and a wood panel to cover it as the pipes dog legged so he coudnt use pvc boxing.

a week later the rad in main bedroom started to bang loudly when it first came on i jumped out of my skin then several quieter bangs then clicks, now it bangs every 5 mins or so has transferred to the other bedroom rad which now bangs and now the one in the living room bangs slightly but never has done before.

a friend who is a gas fitter came out, he put a chemical in Sentine?
He said that might help but it hasnt, iv removed the thermo valves from the rads and bleed the rads but still no joy.

im so so sorry for the long post but its really geting to me now and i don't know what to do? is it a boiler problem?

is it the wood round the pipes expanding but wud the noise transfer to the one in the living room? im at a toal loss plz help.

Thank you kindly.

Sponsored Links
Could be the radiator expanding as it warms up, and moving on it's mounting brackets. Most radiators are designed to slide on U- shaped plastic inserts between the radiator and bracket, but the inserts often get left out.
Without them the radiator creaks and bangs as it bounces along the bracket instead of sliding smoothly as it expands.

what setting have you got the trv on? When it is banging loud does opening thr trv fully cure it? Are you sure it is coming from these rads? Sounds can travel a long way through pipe work and sound as though they are coming from somewhere that they are not eminating from.

Thanks for your replies

I took the TRV's off to see if that would help, when they were on no matter what setting it was on it would still bang.

If its not the rads what could it be? do you think its to do with the pipes that are now boxed in by wood? maybe they are loser in the wall and vibrating since the plaster was chased from around them?

Thank you x

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sorry me again!

None of the rads have these U shaped plastic bits and the rad that is noisiest moves about on the brackets alot, it did have them as one as snapped by the looks of things.

Where would I egt these u shaped thingies and how on earth do I remove the rad to fit them?

sorry, I do admin DIY not my strong point!

Thank you for all your help tho!

Sponsored Links
You can get them from pl merchants.

Turn off the valves and drain the rad by loosening the large nuts at the rad entry slowly.

When empty , remove rad and fit clips. Refit rad, top up system and then bleed rad :D

thank you for your help, think il get a more DIY able person to do it tho!!

Cheers!

Just a quick question for you knowledgable ppl. If the rad pipes are encased in wood, would this cause more banging as the wood expands and contracts? as since they have been encased in wood they bang even louder, it scares me to death on a morning, other than an airlock or system needing flushing what else can cause banging? i have no idea about boiler problems that it could be.

Any more advice would be gratefull rec'd before I go mad!

Thanks x

Yes if the pipes are tight against wood this will create an expansion noise.
Sentinell is the stuff added probably.
I have loads of those plastic u pieces as many rads come with 6 instead of 4 :) .A nice plumber at the merchants may also have some spare?
Just a thought its not a quick banging is it,like repetitive every 1/2 second or so? dosent sound like it but...
If it is could be trv`s wrong way round (if directional type)

saves having an alarm clock?
many systems make a noise, perhaps not like yours, due to the fitting of pipes in tight gaps in joists etc.
as you know, all metal expands on being heated, so you need to allow for that expansion. The pipes and rads must have space to move.
Have you tried turn them off in turn to isolate the noise to a specific part of your system? If you locate the noise , it will be cheaper to cure, rather than guessing.

just wrap the rad in a calico jacket with leather straps........worked for me :eek: Strait up :LOL:

Can we assume that the combi pressure is correct, around 1 bar when rads cold, 1.5/2 bar when hot? If not top up pressure.

Hello

Thanks to all for you replies, the pressure is correct,and the trvs are on the right way round. think il take the wood of and then try! it is a good alarm clock alright!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back