Magic Chef Washing Machine does not spin/drain water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A friend of mine, who I try and always help out...seemed to have trouble with his Magic Chef (top load-belt driven) Washing Machine last week. I looked at it, and when I did...his clothes was in it, with a tub full of water.

He said that is does not want to spin and drain the water.

So I took his clothes out and siphoned out the water, and got the tub to be empty. I then turned on his washer to the SPIN cycle, well, it did not spin, but I heard the mtor running. Then I just moved one of the fins in the tube, and immediately...the tub started to spin it's normal spin.

I then told him what I did...and the machine worked for a week or so...and he just called me up and said it's doing the same thing.

So, I brought my tools with me, and took off the belt...which was still good...and then turned the pulley on the lower end of the pump....where the belt goes. Well, the pulley turned around...but did not turn the tub...then I kept on turning it...back and forth...and finally the tub did start turning.

That is where I am at this point...as I never opened up the insies of the pump stage...I guess this portion is where the transmission may lie...so I did not want to start taking things apart...that I am not sure of.

So...I took the pulley off...which was on a splined shaft coming from the waterpump/transmission...and I manually turned the spline shaft with a pair of vise grips...but the tub NEVER did turn.

Yes, this is where I am.

If anyone does have an idea on what I should do next...I would be great appreciative.

It seems when I turn the shaft...the tub should turn...but I am not sure...as I am getting into the transmission portion of the machine.

Any help to what I am up against...would surely.

I thank each and everyone for reading my post. I want to help my friend tomorrow...but now sure on what the next step should be.

Sincerely,

Patrick Cambre

Sponsored Links
Hello all again,

I managed to find out what the problem was. It was not the pump, but the lower end of the spined shaft, coming from the transmission. There is a kit to buy for this...but with a water leakage also in the transmission...a serviceman said that it would be best to discard the washing machine...since it takes a special tool to get inside the transmission to stop that water leak.

I want to thank each and everyone for taking the time to read my post.

Sincerely,

Patrick Cambre

thank for the feedback
we appreciate that you took the time to explain you solution it will
help others
thank you

big all

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back