Magnaclean cleaner alternatives for Central Heating Domestic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just heard of these magnaclean devices to clean any Rad excrement in the system? Best fit on the return at the boiler???

Any thoughts/comments/Products that are good?

Sponsored Links
Magnacleans had a problem with incorrect O rings a while ago and the isolating valves were not great. The SpiroTech magnabooster seems well made (all brass). I have had a Magnaclean fitted for more than a year and no problems. For best effect fit on the return just before the boiler if pipework allows.

Magnacleans are absolute rubbish, poorly made plastic crap. the isolation valves leak, including the new style, bleed points leak or snap off, lids seize on, o rings leak, lids work loose (if they haven't seized). they're only designed to last 10 years, I'd be surprised if they last that long. It will only filter out magnatite.

A magnabooster is much better

Magnaclean (or any similar filter) should be fitted on the return close to the boiler. A few people will give you horror stories about them, there were issues with the older ones apparently but I think this has largely been resolved, we've fitted well over 100 and only had one reported leak, which we've always suspected was the customer fiddling with it as it just needed there wasn't actually anything wrong with it beyond a loose cap.

Magnaclean TwinTech filters will take out magnetic and non-magnetic deposits

Sponsored Links
you always hear the horror stories. But as others have said i have fitted over 300 with only a few leaks from the early ones.(some of those leaks were my fault)

Biggest problem is customers who continually remove the head to clean the magnet and then do the lid back up too tight

I've just heard of these magnaclean devices to clean any Rad excrement in the system?
Filters are NOT for cleaning systems. They are meant as a back up measure to protect the boiler.
Dirt in systems comes from poor installation/poor maintenance and the only remedy is cleaning properly followed by correct maintenance.

the main 2 i've seen are the magnaclean and the spirotech magnabooster.
the magnaclean is made from plastic, has isolation valves and a removable lid making the build quality slightly poorer and more prone to leaks. it also has a stronger/bigger magnet which imo gets more crap out the sys. the removable lid also allows easy access to add chemicals to the sys.
the SpiroTech magnabooster is made of brass and has no isolation valves, i haven't seen any leak. they are very easy to fit and clean but don't seem to take as much crap out the sys.

Later magna cleans are fine!!!! Spiro tech's, sorry just seem to see nowt come out of them. Been to manufactures demo but sorry end of the day open up a magna clean and it is so much more convincing.
Magna clean is more awkward to fit granted. Had no prob's with valves and done loads.....

Oh yeah. Magna cleans are plastic but do not forget so are most internals of boilers these days as are pipes as well...

Like the others above, have fitted dozens-no probs. I powerflush through one, and can show customers what has been removed from system, before it gets into their new boiler (when carried out as part of a boiler change...)

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back