Magnaclean versus Spirovent

I've spoken to Adeys North Sales Manager and BG charge £299 inc VAT for the Magnaclean Professional and £399 for the Magnaclean Twintech. £85 is way too cheap unless you're system is already drained and disconnected, beware.

Sponsored Links
you can sell a magnaclean at BG for £207 if you are clever with the circumstances.

£299 sounds like the quoted price for a 28mm version.

I've spoken to Adeys North Sales Manager and BG charge £299 inc VAT for the Magnaclean Professional and £399 for the Magnaclean Twintech. £85 is way too cheap unless you're system is already drained and disconnected, beware.
I just checked a well-known Plumbers Merchant's website, and their list price is £85. There would be VAT on this, so the DIYer (with no trade discount) can expect to pay about £100.

This is, after all, a DIY website, and fitting one is fairly basic DIY plumbing.

I see what you mean, perhaps they charge less when already working on the system. But it was a domestic price and since domestic boilers are usually 22ml, £299 was a 22ml price. With the contract Adey and BG have Nr Nevin, who I had a meeting with, speaks with BG all the time and they boasted they make £150 clear profit on top of materials and labour every installation and more on twintech jobs. There is no way there is £150 clear profit on any Magnaclean at £207 supply and install.

You won't find many qualified engineers charging less than £90 plus VAT to install a Magnaclean unless they are already doing work on the system. With £85-100 for the filter your around the £190-200 mark, with maybe another 1/2 hour to hour to cover problems and adjustments you're at the £250 mark. Some London engineers charge £70-90 an hour so you'd be lucky to get one fitted for £299 there, and it's not uncommon for BG to charge 30-100% more than us independants, so it makes sense to me.

John D; Apologies about the £85 I mis-understood, I thought it included installation, for supply £85 is normal.

Sponsored Links
Any definitive answers to the Spiro VS Magnaclean? I'm about to fit one on my own system and am swaying towards the spirovent now!

I would say they are both great products but you should know that the Magnaclean has just won the Corgi Installers Product of the Year award which unlike many awards actually means something.
Installers just want to do a job and not have have any call backs from their customers. It is clear from the results that the Magnaclean achieves that better than the spirovent.

These guys www.sludgecleanteam.co.uk install magnaclean specifically and they wouldn't do it unless there was a low (or lower) rate of problems. No product is perfect, so just cos you hear that a bit of plastic broke here and a valve leaked there, it doesn't mean they aren't great. Cos Magnaclean's and spirovents installed in every home and school would save 5 times more CO2 waste than if we were able to stop every bit of electrical wastage.

If you can afford to get both then do it because in all honestly, they are not directly competing products. Spirovents main product benefits are to remove the air in a system so it stops sludge build up, so it maybe better for newer homes where there is no build up.

For older homes the Magnaclean will be better, because once sludge build up starts it is nigh on impossible to totally stop, so you just want to get as much sludge out of the system as pos, and spirovents sludge holding capacity is really poor compared to the Magnaclean, but the magnacleans job will still be easier if a Spirovent is also fitted.

Hope that helps

These look a decent bit of kit.... never fitted one yet but hear good things.... advantages of a magnaclean and the non magnetic 'scrubbing' perks of a spirovent...

http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp[/QUOTE]

They are £50 more than standard magnaclean from us. Ive quoted for 1 that was piped in non barrier plastic and he had it fitted by one of the plumbers but ive never been to the property since.

I've spoken to Adeys North Sales Manager and BG charge £299 inc VAT for the Magnaclean Professional and £399 for the Magnaclean Twintech
Im fitting a 22mm magnaclean tomorrow for £205 whilst replacing cylinder and adding tapstat. Then a 28mm magnaclean on tuesday whilst doing another cylinder. Think the 28mm is being done @ £275. Basically £50 of normal price and @ 15% VAT as the system will already be partially drained/bunged.

Im fitting a 22mm magnaclean tomorrow for £205 whilst replacing cylinder and adding tapstat. Then a 28mm magnaclean on tuesday whilst doing another cylinder. Think the 28mm is being done @ £275. Basically £50 of normal price and @ 15% VAT as the system will already be partially drained/bunged.

Hi petit_pablo, is the £205 plus VAT?

I understand you must get sick of BG getting stick for their prices, but I really don't think £205 is the standard price for British Gas fitting a Magnaclean. All jobs are different though.

Also 80% of the work (or time) involved in fitting a magnaclean is in draining and refilling etc. If you already need to do this for another job (which i'm sure is being charged at normal price - nothing wrong with that) £50 is only a saving of 15% for 80% less work.

I know BG engineers themselves are better than most (which magazine boiler service test put one of your engineers joint 2nd out of 10 used) it is the company itself people have a problem with.

BG took over from a public service and they have abused it. With great power comes great responsibility and for a company with so much money available to spend (half a billion profit last year) on customer service they should not even be getting a single genuine complaint.

Getting a job right 8 or 9 times out of 10 is still simply not good enough with all the resources they have at there disposal. If they invested and cared more, they would could take over the entire industry easily.

Hi petit_pablo, is the £205 plus VAT?

I understand you must get sick of BG getting stick for their prices, but I really don't think £205 is the standard price for British Gas fitting a Magnaclean. All jobs are different though.

Standard price is currently £250.55inc VAT for anywhere thats not within m25.
The £205 is inc VAT but ive got to take the cylinder out so will already be working on system.

An important thing regarding the ORIGINAL Magnaclean. IT DOES NOT REMOVE FLAKES OF MAGNETITE. It is excellent at removing magnetite particles held in suspension but if you have flakes of magnetite these get flushed straight through it. The flakes form when the particles stick to the inside of rads and pipes and then break free later as solid flakes. I believe this is the reason the Twintec model was designed as these flakes get trapped in the bottom chamber. When the Twintec was launched a sales pack went out to the trade but very few installers actually read what it said! It stated that the original model was only recommended for NEW SYSTEMS to prevent future problems and the Twintec was for existing systems. This information now appears to have disappeared from their literature! I have seen numerous cases of blocked plate heat exchangers where the original Magnacleans have been used.

Most installers still appear to be fitting the original model on old systems in total ignorance. Also finding quite a few filters being fitted on the boiler flow pipes (even by BG) where they will do bugger all at stopping plate heat exchangers from blocking up on combis. But hey, at least you won't have to clean the filter regularly-the boiler will keep it clean for you! Muppets!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back