Magnaclean versus Spirovent

Spirovent is a brilliant product, once patented now copied. We fit them for bigger installs such as churches etc.

They will catch magnetic and non magnetic floating bits, and work as a microbubble deaereator at the same time. I have two dirt/air units fitted in my own house.

If you can remove the air you have no corrosion. And no gungy components filled with oily inhibitor.

Or you can fit a Magnaclean and just pull out Magnetic particles. Wouldn't fit one myself.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Be aware all you magnaclean fans that it only traps magnetic debris!

I always fit a gauze filter on the outlet to trap everything. It surprises me that Chris does not supply them with his kit.

Fitted one today by chance!

Tony

What do you mean by fitting a gauze filter on the outlet, surely you mean the return to protect the boiler

simond said:
Spirovent is a brilliant product, once patented now copied. We fit them for bigger installs such as churches etc.

They will catch magnetic and non magnetic floating bits, and work as a microbubble deaereator at the same time. I have two dirt/air units fitted in my own house.

If you can remove the air you have no corrosion. And no gungy components filled with oily inhibitor.

Or you can fit a Magnaclean and just pull out Magnetic particles. Wouldn't fit one myself.

Are you saying you do not use inhibitor when using a Spriovent? If so, I assume on a sealed system only.

Thanks Guys for all the really helpful feedback

I am a whole lot clearer about this now.

My question is:

I am getting a spirovent free of charge so it seems daft not to fit it

My heating engineer has quoted me a good price for magnaclean so it also seems daft not to fit it. The heating engineer is on site for a couple of days

Can they both be fitted? (my one worry is that my engineer didn't seem keen to fit the spirovent as he wasn't familiar with them so I may have to find someone else and then they will obviously charge for fitting)

Is that daft to fit them both? Will it compromise the system?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Harden Long said:
Thanks Guys for all the really helpful feedback

I am a whole lot clearer about this now.

My question is:

I am getting a spirovent free of charge so it seems daft not to fit it

My heating engineer has quoted me a good price for magnaclean so it also seems daft not to fit it. The heating engineer is on site for a couple of days

Can they both be fitted? (my one worry is that my engineer didn't seem keen to fit the spirovent as he wasn't familiar with them so I may have to find someone else and then they will obviously charge for fitting)

Is that daft to fit them both? Will it compromise the system?

Thanks again

Sinmond is saying that the Spirovent does everything the Maganclean does and more...or is
he?

A spirovent does not do the same as a Magnaclean, it is not a magnite, it is however a very good product and will prevent debris entering your boiler, the model that has been mentioned also helps eliminate air from the system.

A spirovent will remove ANY debris!

A magnaclean will only trap magnetic debris unless a gauze filter is fitted to the outlet. ( It has an inlet and an outlet! Its a two port device. )

The advantage of the Magnaclean is that it can store a large volume of magnetic dirt before it needs cleaning. When the gauze filter is added it will need cleaning more often if there is a lot of non mag dirt.

The spirovent traps the dirt on its gauze filter which will become rather blocked quite quickly if there is much dirt.

Tony

never see one in use, but the promotional video made it look as if the Spiro had a "sump" that dirt fell into and could be drained out of with a little tap :confused:

It is as you suggest JohnD, but it WILL NOT precipitate small particles unless water only is used, ie no additives which reduce surface tension.

I don't think I could bring myself to leave out the inhibitor, as there is brass, copper and steel in the system.

The filter is there to create a low velocity area in the centre, not to act as a filter.

I have one Spiro dirt/air and another air only fitted to my system and the water is as clear as the day we filled it.

I too have dissimilar metals in my system, like most people when you think about it. And Inhibitor is not recommended with it. But then Molbydenum (correct spelling???) is known to swell seals etc.

You pays your money, takes your choice. I think the Magneclean sounds like a good idea until you realise that magnetic detritus is by no means the whole story.

As someone else says, the dirt separator just fills a sump, which you can periodically drain.

simond said:
The filter is there to create a low velocity area in the centre, not to act as a filter.

I have one Spiro dirt/air and another air only fitted to my system and the water is as clear as the day we filled it.

I too have dissimilar metals in my system, like most people when you think about it. And Inhibitor is not recommended with it. But then Molbydenum (correct spelling???) is known to swell seals etc.

You pays your money, takes your choice. I think the Magneclean sounds like a good idea until you realise that magnetic detritus is by no means the whole story.

As someone else says, the dirt separator just fills a sump, which you can periodically drain.

In Germany they tend not to use inhibitor in sealed systems. They quote leaks, etc cause by inhibitor. I think it foolish to eliminate it in an open vented system.

The spirovent traps the dirt on its gauze filter which will become rather blocked quite quickly if there is much dirt.

Tony you must be thinking of some other product. See no gauze filter on the Spirovent.

Why don't you look at the original posting date 2007!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back