main bonding oil

Sponsored Links
no

assuming your oil tank is outside the house, and the supply pipe is wholly or entirely metal, it is to be bonded just like any other metallic service entering the house - water, gas, air con pipes etc.

If the boiler is outside the house then the water pipes entering the house from the boiler also need to be main bonded

Although the oil supply is not strictly speaking an Extraneous Conductive Part (by devinition), you are expected to still provide a Main Equipotential Bond to the service as it is "a large copper 'metally' pipe that has a great area exposed".....or words to that effect!

but surely i dont need to bond the oil pipe as it doesnt enter the
property.as for the pipes enering the house, they are the cold feed
to go to the boiler that will already be main bonded and the hot
returning to the property. do i need to main bond that hot pipe?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

You need to bond ALL metallic services at the point of entry to the property.

If the oil supply does not enter the property then it does not require bonding. Is the boiler just sat on a wall exposed to the elements then?

Where is the local FCU located?

the boiler is a worcester exterior floor mounted job. yes it is exposed to the elements.the fuse spur is in the kitchen

I have come across this problem myself and figured that the oil service never enters the equipotential zone so it shouldn't be bonded. If you really feel the need to bond something then you should perhaps bond the hot & return pipes where they enter the house..

yea thats what i was thinking. Also worth noting is that the pipes enter the house for about 1.5metres before they change to hep20 and then after about 3 metres they change back to copper.So should i link out the plastic bit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back