Main Bonding to Hot Tank Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have run a 10mm earth cable cable from board to hot hot tank cupboard and have looped across all pipework with 10mm loops. This is correct isn't it???

Sponsored Links
Now that is what I call overkill..

The cable used is a "bit OTT" but it is safe to say you have certainly achieved the aim of cross bonding :D:D

FWL_Engineer said:
Now that is what I call overkill..

The cable used is a "bit OTT" but it is safe to say you have certainly achieved the aim of cross bonding :D:D

usually, 4mm is used, but 10 is OK

Is the 10mm back to board OTT or the cross bonding between heating pipes over doing it. I have observed 10mm cross bonding in heating cupboards on several occasions and followed a logic that the return to board would be of the same dimensions

Sponsored Links
Depends on type of supply-pme(or whatever its called now) requires 10mm.No harm in using 10mm just cost.

CathalX said:
Is the 10mm back to board OTT or the cross bonding between heating pipes over doing it. I have observed 10mm cross bonding in heating cupboards on several occasions and followed a logic that the return to board would be of the same dimensions

The problem it that your in Eire, and the rules are somewhat different over there. I can imagine that if your in a rural location with a TT (Overhead) supply then perhaps the 10mm link to the board is a requirement, however I have never seen 10mm used fro cross bonding even in severe industrial environments.

And there is no direct requirement to cross bond in the A/C, just the bathroom!

To be safe, if you have an immersion heater in the cylinder, you should really bond all the airing cupboard metalwork and vent pipe etc, with appropriate cable (not less than 4.0.sq.mm.), and ensure it's run straight back to the Main Consumer Unit's earthing terminal, and Tested after.

Not always demanded by BS7671:2001, but it is wise to be safe as water and electricity do not mix well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back