Main Combi Eco Boiler Error Code E168

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved house and the boiler in my new home is giving me some grief. It is a Main Combi Eco boiler and I keep getting the error code E168 when the central heating tries to fire up. I do not know what any of the previous error codes were.

It has probably had it's power interrupted at some point previously with the fuse box being switched several times and having an electrician replace all the electrics in my kitchen. I have also had the heating system drained and refilled after having new rads fitted. Still receiving the code before and after these jobs.

It only seems to occur during a central heating demand. but not all the time. If i do get the error, if i try resetting while the central heating demand is still on (signal from thermostat and timer at right time period) the error pops up again. Occasionally, if the central heating is running fine and a hot water demand comes on, it can cause the error.

My most reliable way of getting around it is to turn my thermostat right down or my timer off so there is not CH demand, turn the boier off, run a hot tap and reset the boiler while the hot tap is running. This allows the boiler to fire up and then I can turn on my CH demand and turn off the hot tap and it runs fine.

The pressure in the system is in the green, but does dip when the boiler tried to fire for CH, there is also a slight gurgling sound from within the boiler when firing for CH.

Can anyone give me any insight in to what is the root cause of my woes?

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

Sponsored Links
E168 is the fault to describe an unknown fault. From your description, it could be an issue with the diverter valve, but could equally be a PCB issue. You'll need a Gas Safe Regd engineer or Heatteam to diagnose properly

Sponsored Links
I have a customer who keeps on getting that fault code and she thinks that I can solve it or her.

She seems to provoke it by turning off the mains power to the boiler when he is not happy with it like if she decides its too noisy

I have tried to explain to her that she should turn the selector switch off and not the mains power.

I think that replacing the PCB will sometimes prevent excessive appearances of the E168 fault codes.

Its a pity the makers cannot be more positive about their design.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back