Main equipotential bond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two ongoing jobs, where it is not possible to bond the gas within 600mm of entering the building.

On job one, the gas feed comes up an outside wall and enters the building under the first floor floor boards, then does not appear until 10M later. If i bond under the boards then its not available for inspection, outside is, well outside. (i am inclined to bond outside)

On job two, the feed comes straight out of the meter box and is then plastered/boarded for 3M until it is accessible to bond (i am inclined to bond in meter box)

Some times it just isn't possible to comply to every last letter of BS7671:2008. I am happy that both jobs will be safe and have no problems about signing off my work, that said all (polite) suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
presumably in both cases the gas meter is accessible? Surely you can bond there?

Job two i am bonding at meter. Meter is outside Not within 600mm of entering building.

job one i have suggested bonding as it enters the building externally, not in the box, as there is an external run of pipe from the box. my intention being to bond as close as possible to the inside of building.

Or am i missing the point and bonding within external meter boxes complies fully with BS7671:2008

Sponsored Links
I'm puzzled too.

That said both jobs will be adequately bonded, i will just have to mark them down in "details of departure from BS7671"

I will also speak to my scheme, tech helpline.

Cheers Paul.

Paul, read 544.1.2. Your understanding is incorrect.

In any case, you have to understand why you are doing it at all and asking about the often irrelevant 600mm distance shows you don't fully understand the requirements.

You will be able to bond on both jobs without departing from the regulations.

You don't want to make the connection outside the meter cabinet in the open...

Just bond both pipes close to the meter before branch pipework INSIDE the meter cabinet.

Then it is not exposed & accessible for test and inspection.

Thank you dingbat.

And thank you, for your concern. I do understand WHY i need a main equipotential bond.

544.1.2 is very helpful. I am obviously placing too much importance on the 600mm guide.

Cheers Paul

[/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back