Main Isolator

MES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help.
My meter is located in a separate out building adjacent to the house. I have an isolator box between it and my modern domestic consumer unit.(Located in the house. House rewired early 90's) This isolator has a 60 amp rewirerable fuse carrier, but all it is doing is isolating the meter from the consumer unit. Protection is for both circuit overload and residual current is done by the consumer unit.
I would like to change this to a modern isolator (ie just an on of switch) or circuit breakers.
I know that I cannot touch the fuses from the meter, and I know that the power company (electricity board) will fit isolators.
Does anyone know if they will change this old isolator box for something more modern, or will they say no as I have in effect an isolator already all be it with a 60amp fuse carrier.

Any ideas/ Suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Here are a few points to consider as a starter;
Does the DNO have a ruling on how much cable within a consumers installation their fuse is allowed to protect?
Is the cable between said isolator and CU adequate for a larger supply?
Part P (England/Wales)

There's nothing wrong with that setup. Fuses are safe and are a long-established method of providing short circuit and overload protection to cables.

The fuse may be there for a reason anyway. What size cable connects the isolator to the consumer unit and how long is it?

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
There's nothing wrong with that setup. Fuses are safe and are a long-established method of providing short circuit and overload protection to cables.

The fuse may be there for a reason anyway. What size cable connects the isolator to the consumer unit and how long is it?

Rewirable fuses not that brilliant at short - circuit protection especially that close to the mains.Hopefully the main fuse is a BS1361!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back