Supply Authorities Isolator Faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have a problem and not sure what to do next. I went to isolate my consumer unit to change the entire unit.There is an isolator fitted before the consumer unit as the supply fuses are not within the premises. The supply cables connect straight into the meter in the premises. I have traced the cables back to what I assume are the fuses in a metal enclosure in the communal corridor. The enclosure has a lock on it.

The problem is that the isolator does not function as intended. I cant get the isolator contacts to open, tried flicking the switch a hundred times. Checked for external signs of damage on the isolator. What should I do? Should I contact my supplier to replace the isolator as it has stopped functioning, will they do this for free as there is no fuses within the premises that can be removed. Or should I change the isolator myself? All help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Not sure it will belong to the supplier, I would expect one with the meter in the communal position.

BTW if the meter is there, you as a customer have a legal right to have a key to that cupboard to allow you to check the meter readings, I suggest you talk to the building managers about that!

the meter is in the flat, the isolator is in the flat only the supply fuses are not.

Sponsored Links
Ah in that case if it is the DNOs and is faulty they should replace it free of charge. I would suggest you contact them ASAP as the problem with it could lead to safety issues

Should I contact my supplier to replace the isolator as it has stopped functioning, will they do this for free as there is no fuses within the premises that can be removed.
Why should that be a factor given that you're not allowed to pull the fuse?

Or should I change the isolator myself?
How are you going to do that when the incoming cable is live?

I went to isolate my consumer unit to change the entire unit.
What makes you sure that you know everything that you should know to be able to do that?

Have you got the necessary test equipment?

Do you live in England or Wales?

I am an electrician, my bread and butter is 11kV switchgear, the reason I am asking is this is my first property, don't want to pull the fuses if i don't have to, as the only ones accessible are for the whole building- 8 Flats. So was trying to obtain information from persons that have dealt with type of installation, as to what the best course of action is, but thanks your post was very informative and helpful ban all sheds.
;)

Issue with the faulty isolator has been resolved. Called my supplier, they are going to eplace it free of charge as well as replacing wiring from fuses to meter. As I previously detailed due to the supplier fuses being external to the property, they are obliged to replace it

I am an electrician
Well - you didn't say, and you'd be amazed (probably horrified) at the number of people who come here planning a CU change who have no idea of what's involved.

my bread and butter is 11kV switchgear
Which doesn't need you to have any knowledge whatsoever of BS 7671, nor to have LV test equipment.

And it doesn't mean that, if you're in England or Wales, you can change the CU without applying for Building Regulations approval first.

don't want to pull the fuses if i don't have to, as the only ones accessible are for the whole building- 8 Flats.
I'm amazed that you even contemplated doing it reluctantly.

As I previously detailed due to the supplier fuses being external to the property, they are obliged to replace it
So is it before the meter?

I'm curious to know why they have that obligation - what lawful actions are you prevented from doing without a functioning isolator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back