Main Service Cable Alterations- Help/Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

New here so be gentle

We recently bought our first property and it needs complete renovation top to bottom, had number of issues along the way mainly with Sewer pipes at the rear and now we are stuck with a Electrics.

The Service cable / Meter are on a board under the stairs. We would like this moved down, round and under a wall to the left of its current position. So the end result is the board is placed on the outside wall instead of under the stairs as it will block the area the new basin needs to go.

Now I’ve seen posts about the extortionate cost of moving the service cable (UK Power Networks) http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/connections/calculator/#anchor £1700!!! and that the meter belongs to the billing company (EON) has anyone got any advice on what is the cheapest way of getting the main service cable moved to the position I need it?

To add – where the main service head comes in it goes into the main fuse it comes back out and splits off to the neighbours property. How much of an issue would this be? (I’m aware the cable might not be long enough to move around) And is it in the best interest of the DNO to get the connections separated and at who’s costs? Is this something they would do without charge.

(image below shows my current issue!)

All advice is appreciated.
View media item 52615

Sponsored Links
The DNO will charge and it won't be a small number, the best thing to do is to ring them up and get them to give you a quote which will probably involve a site visit and don't go messing with it yourself as its their property

I'm sure Westie will be able to give some ideas of the technical parts of the job as the more technical the job the more it'll cost

the website in the OP is useless, I tried every configuration I could think of and everything was unknown. Was kind of interested in seeing how much a 3P+N would set me back

Yes the only way is to talk to the DNO as the loop to next door introduces all sorts of complications.
You do need to think of a contingency if it can't be moved

Sponsored Links
Yes the only way is to talk to the DNO as the loop to next door introduces all sorts of complications.
You do need to think of a contingency if it can't be moved

thanks for all the replies,

can the service head remain in a WC though? or is there any regulations against this being close to a sink?

someone mentioned to board it up and leave it in there (the service cable) and get the board cut down and the meter moved?

thanks again

has anyone got any advice on what is the cheapest way of getting the main service cable moved to the position I need it?
Yes - you go through the DNO and have them move it. If much digging and backfilling will be needed as them to tell you what the contestable works are, as you may use your own contractor for those.

To add – where the main service head comes in it goes into the main fuse it comes back out and splits off to the neighbours property. How much of an issue would this be?
It will make it more expensive.

And is it in the best interest of the DNO to get the connections separated
I doubt it.

and at who’s costs?
Yours.

Is this something they would do without charge.
No.

So the end result is the board is placed on the outside wall instead of under the stairs as it will block the area the new basin needs to go.
The ONLY people who can move the cable and cutout etc are the DNO.

If you cannot or will not pay whatever they ask then you cannot put a basin there, and that's all there is to it.

the website in the OP is useless, I tried every configuration I could think of and everything was unknown.
t344494.jpg

someone mentioned to board it up and leave it in there (the service cable) and get the board cut down and the meter moved?
If that were possible, it would obviously be by far the cheapest option, since it would involve no DNO work at all. However, I suspect that DNO and/or meter operator may be unprepared to have a significant distance between service head and meter (does anyone know?) - what sort of distance (as the cable flies) would we be talking about?

Kind Regards, John.

I would say yours in not going to be a standard move and likely to cost FAR more than usual (perhaps even double).

Your service looks to be a PILC cable which then loops through the wall (to your neighbours?).

In essence, you then have two services to move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back