Main Switch tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum but would like some helpon diagnising a problem with my distribution boards main switch.

Three times in the last 24 hours my electricity has gone off without warning. When inspected the distribution board's switches are all at the "on" position, but if I move the main switch from the "on" to "off" and back to "on" the electricity is restored. This will last for the next 4-8 hours.

I have contacted the electric distributor and there are no issues externally so I presume an internal fault in the house.

The earth test on the board works OK too.

Any ideas about what I should next test/do?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What is tripping, is it an RCD? When it trips does the switch not go all the way down to the off position?

Is your 'main switch' and RCD (it will have a test button on it if it is).
If so, you have to use a process of elimination.

Start off by turning each circuit off one at a time until you find the one that's causing the problem. Then look at what is on that circuit. Could be external wiring, is it wet?
does it happen at specific times? If it ties in with heating timer (eg) then there's your clue.

What was the earth test that you did? But if the fault is intermittent you'll only see it (on average) every 8 hours.

We could do with a little clarification on this, as folk often come on here saying their 'main switch' is tripping when they really mean their 'RCD main switch' which are two very different things.

This is just a hunch but I think you may have a main switch which is not properly making a connection some where.

Can you post a photo of your CU? or at least details of make, model, colour, size, etc and everything (all the little letters) written an the main switch

Sponsored Links
Does your "Main Switch" have a "Test" button on it?

(RF - my alternative hunch is that it might be e.g. a MEM RCD, which pops half way, and you have to move it to fully "off" before it will go back "on")

(edit - but having re-read it, you hunch sounds a bit better)

We love pictures!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back