Mains trip switches

Is there a white fuse holder on the far right next to the main switch ?? I think I can make one out in the photo, the flash blends it in with the CU.

If there is, that may well be your lighting. Normally rewireable fuses are colour coded with white dots for 5A, blue for 15A, and Red for 30A.

Normally lighting would be on a 5A fuse / 6A MCB.

For safety sake switch off the main switch BEFORE pulling the fuse, its not unknown to find fuse wire sticking out of a holder when you go to pull them and OUCH ! you only do it once believe me (twas a few years back but still fresh in my mind)

Sponsored Links
The wires going to it look new

No they aren't. They may be more recent than otherstuff, but they are certainly are not new. The green earth cable indicates that any wiring is at least 20 years old..

Partly as above and my view of the picture(and the cables going into the fusebaord)

Working from the right

Red switch is the main switch.

The white panel may be a fuse carrier - possibly 5amp for the lights. Turn the main switch off and see if there is anything uner the panel.

Brown panel is a 15 amp fuse - usually for the immersion heater

Red panel is a 30 amp fuse. Could be shower, or cooker or sockets. Need to be on site to check.

Left hand switch is a 30amp contact breaker - probably also could be shower, sockets or the cooker circuit.

There should (must!) be a sschedule stating what each fuse does. That is really your landlord's responsibility. If you are desparate, or he won't do it then turn each fuse off -one at a time - and see what no longer works...

The fa right fuse is a White proteus style fuse holder which is comparable to the wylex.

Nothing there which is shockingly worrying. Similar to countless thousands if houses across the country!

It's a house, not a flat. The meter is probably within the 3 metres guidance....just.

The last inspection date says 8/6/2009, so not that long ago. Next inspection recommended for 2014.

MattLG

Sponsored Links
The last inspection date says 8/6/2009, so not that long ago. Next inspection recommended for 2014.

Excellent!
The inspection will have included a full schedule of what each fuse does. It must do.
If you do not have a copy then ask your landlord for one.

Phone him up and say,
"here, that inpection you had done on 8th June last year, Can I have a copy please?"

Then you'll know everything!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back