My Mains fusebox keeps tripping at between 3am and 6am every

JohnD said:
What is the brand and age of your RCD (and consumer unit)??

And can you see what other numbers are markings are on it please?

I might be about to suggest something...

BTW do you have an overhead or an underground supply? About how old do you think the supply cables are? is there an earth spike?

You might as well unplug the freezers when you go to bed. they should withstand several hours with the doors shut... and you're expecting a power cut during the night :cry: it would be a pity if we didn't track down a fault to one of them. If you have one of those 30mA RCD adaptors used for lawnmowers, perhaps you could connect things through that and see if it trips? the 100mA trip is quite a big one.

Sponsored Links
+++ big quote removed - Mod Rupert +++++ [/quote]

Hi the info you want I hope is as follows:-

The RCD says 80A load / 100ma trip / Cat wem 30/2

the box is a Wem 602

The mcb's are 3 x 32 / 1 x 16 / 1 x 6

hope this helps
A very gratefull Paul

+++ big quote removed - Mod Rupert +++++ [/quote]

Thaks. I was particularly interested to see if the RCD was marked "S-Type" or "Time Delayed" or "100mS" as it might be if you have an overhead supply in a rural area, with an earth spike and no suppliers earth connection.

I'm not familiar with WEM so I will see if i can find out anything about their RCBOs

P.S. Could it possibly be "MEM"?

+++ big quote removed - Mod Rupert +++++

Hi the info you want I hope is as follows:-

The RCD says 80A load / 100ma trip / Cat wem 30/2

the box is a Wem 602

The mcb's are 3 x 32 / 1 x 16 / 1 x 6

hope this helps
A very gratefull Paul

Sorry I forgot to say we have a ground supply and the cables are around 15 years old also we do have an earth but it only goes to the ground supply sheath

Sponsored Links
diablo1952 said:
Cat wem 30/2..........the box is a Wem 602

Sounds like Wylex terminology?

But 30/2 in Wylex speak means a 30A 2 pole RCD :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here are some examples of "MEM" does it look like that?

here's an old one (click on the link) http://www.myonlineimages.com/Members/mdbalson/images/Old Consumer Unit.JPG

85_0.JPG

04_1.JPG

JohnD said:
Here are some examples of "MEM" does it look like that?

no

it has a single large RCD switch on the right hand the 100ma trip
then 5 mcb's from the left of the RCD going left b32's then b16 then b6 and one empty slot. it is about the same size as you MEM box

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Diabolo, please use the "Reply" button not the "Quoute" button -
it will save space and make the thread easier to follow.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++++++++++

JohnD said:
Any chance of a photo? we love pictures.

I will post a picture tommorrow only my son has got the digital camera somewhere

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Diabolo, please use the "Reply" button not the "Quote" button -
it will save space and make the thread easier to follow.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++++++++++

NO! Don't post any piccys for John......! His "Doctor" has told him to abstain..... :eek:

Know what I mean?

[Whispers] He's into thighs & RCBO's.....but not sure in which order..... :LOL:

You'll be OK as long as they're not the sort of pics that Securespark posts, know what I mean?

Hey, John! I only posted them for you!!

Well, as long as you don't tell Mrs Secure........ :oops:

Are you sure that your supplier isn't doing maintenance somewhere at a local substation? Give the engineer a ring and see what he says.

The fact that you can switch the thing back on again indicates that it is a transient fault rather than a hard wire fault. If it were something shorting out then you wouldn't be able to reset it.

Joe

It is perfectly possible to have intermittent faults on hard wiring and appliances that cause intermittent tripping.

JohnD said:
I'm not familiar with WEM so I will see if i can find out anything about their RCBOs
We can still see what you're doing there JohnD. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back