My Mains fusebox keeps tripping at between 3am and 6am every

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
from last week every morning around 3am to 6am my switchboard main switch trips. The mcb's for all the circuits never trip only the main switch for the box trips. If i try and switch it back on it usually retrips within 2 mins.I have tried switching things on and off around the house but this makes no difference HELP!!!!!
The main switch never trips during the day only early in the morning
Paul

Sponsored Links
I presume your main switch is an RCD?

Do you have anything on a timer at all?

Are you in a block of flats?

Do you have any heavy industry locally?

i had a similar problem to this some months ago, never done it since and no one could seem to offer a solution. Ill be intrested to see if anyone has any new ideas!

Sponsored Links
didthathurt said:
I presume your main switch is an RCD?

Do you have anything on a timer at all?

Are you in a block of flats?

Do you have any heavy industry locally?

Thanks for the reply here are the answers you required
main switch is an RCD
the gas boiler runs on a timer
we live in a house
no heavy indusry nearby

I have heard, if a little apochryphally, of trips being caused by surges from outside the premises due to industrial services. In your case, look to see if there is anything that cuts in or out during that period. As it is confined to this narrow time band, it is not going to be a faulty RCD, though, if it hjas become too sensitive, it may be tripping at less than the rated current

didthathurt said:
+++ big quote removed - Mod Rupert +++++
Thanks for helping
We tried today to make it trip
washing machine,tumble drier,dishwasher,cooker all rings and oven, all the lights and fans to no avail, it would not trip!!!!
confused PAUL

diablo1952 said:
The Gas Boiler is a BAXI Solo 2 40 PF
last serviced on 20/07/3006

WOW! Can I borrow your time machine?

It sounds like you have something on a timer that kicks in between those hours, and maybe has an intermittent fault. Is anybody in your household up between those hours every day?

Do you have a water softener? They can be set to regenerate in the early hours.

What time do the street lamps go off?

Does it vary with weather conditions? E.g. getting cold enough for dew to form... which is water... on outside lights or sockets?

JohnD said:

Does it vary with weather conditions? E.g. getting cold enough for dew to form... which is water... on outside lights or sockets?

Thankyou again for your help

We do noy have a water treatment unit
the power tripped at 3.20am this morning and the street lights were still on

We did catch a mouse last week in one of our traps !!!

We do have an outbuilding and the temperature does fluctuate, I will investigate this one for condensation

this is driving us mad !!!!!!!

If you have electricity to an outbuilding going through the RCD of the house, start by disconnecting the outbuilding supply (with a DP switch not just the MCB) and see if that makes a change.

Also, try disconnecting the supply to any outside lamps or sockets.

If you have mice they may have gnawed through a cable, perhaps under the floor.

JohnD said:

street lamps are still on when the mains trips
we did catch a mouse last week
we have a large outbuilding and I will check for condensation as it has been damp and rainy most evenings

Paul

* Can someone explain why the main switch trips and not the individual circuit breakers!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back