Main water supply shared with farm buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have for lived 9 years in a cottage near to old farm buildings which have an outside tap fitted, this is connected to the water meter we pay for. The buildings and tap belong to someone else, who also owns the land the water main runs in and would have installed the main.

A local farmer occasionally uses the tap & in return we have used some of his storage sheds. The tap has a non-return valve fitted. No problems as far as we're concerned but the prospective buyer of our house has thrown a fit and wants the tap disconnected.

Anyone know where we stand... I don't know whether our house or the farm buildings were first supplied and the neighbour involved is not a helpful person, to say the least. Our local water board is Anglian, I wanted to see if anyone else had come across this situation before contacting them.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can have a deduction meter fitted where as the volume of water they use is taken off the property bill and put on the farmers bill.

I have a shop where that process is used for the upstairs flat , I have a main meter the water board have a deduction meter inside my shop as it rises up to the shop I pay the balance between the two.

they sound like they are great people to live next to (warn the farmer tell them to shoot every sunday am about 5.30)

You can have a deduction meter fitted where as the volume of water they use is taken off the property bill and put on the farmers bill.

Thanks for the reply, not heard of that kind of meter. Its a sensible solution although our buyer seems firm on complete removal of the tap...

I'll see tomorrow if our Legal Eagle solicitor has had any brain waves :rolleyes:

Remove the tap, and talk to farmer, or speak to buyer and explain more.

Thats how solicitors earn there money coming up with worst case senarios and scaring people. :)

Sponsored Links
We have for lived 9 years in a cottage near to old farm buildings which have an outside tap fitted, this is connected to the water meter we pay for. The buildings and tap belong to someone else, who also owns the land the water main runs in and would have installed the main.

A local farmer occasionally uses the tap & in return we have used some of his storage sheds. The tap has a non-return valve fitted. No problems as far as we're concerned but the prospective buyer of our house has thrown a fit and wants the tap disconnected.

Anyone know where we stand... I don't know whether our house or the farm buildings were first supplied and the neighbour involved is not a helpful person, to say the least. Our local water board is Anglian, I wanted to see if anyone else had come across this situation before contacting them.
Cheers

One of my accounts has one water main and 9 shops connected to it.

I installed SUB METERS for each shop thus they pay for the water they actually use and they make their own hot water.

Pain in the neck having to read each meter and say who owes what

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back