mains fuse tripping!

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My 84 year old mother has a problem where by One of the single socket upstairs in the bedroom when switched off will trip all mcb including mains ( she then has to indivudually switch on all mcb and the mains swith to turn every thing back on). The fault only occurs when the socket switch is turned off. I hope i have explained as i was!! thanking all for advise help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not really sure of the circumstances.

The main switch could be an RCD which could turn off everything but that is the only thing which would need turning on again.

Any chance of a picture?

When you say 'when the socket is turned off' do you mean when it is actually moved to the off position or if it is left in the off position?

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
There is a possibility that the socket, or the cables behind it, are damaged. You could start by TURNING OFF THE POWER, removing the old socket (having previously bought a new one) and examining the cables in the backbox for damage, loose strands, heat damage, missing insulation, and rectifying whatever you find.

Take a photo for us of the back of the socket and the contents of the backbox while youre at it.

Also please send us a photo, or note down all the letters and numbers on, the "main fuse" that you say keeps tripping. Does this device have a Test Button on it? It will not actually be a fuse. Fuses don't trip.

Photos of the meter, incoming supply, consumer unit, and all the cables around and between them will give us an idea of what you are dealing with.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
The main switch could be an RCD which could turn off everything but that is the only thing which would need turning on again.
I agree with you

Any chance of a picture?
Not at the moment as i have to physically get down there!

When you say 'when the socket is turned off' do you mean when it is actually moved to the off position or if it is left in the off position?[/quote]
Yes when moved to off position!

JOHND thanks! yes there is a test button i understand what you saying about "fuse" tripping i also have understood your reply and will attend to it on my visit to her if unable to sort it out then will upload photos!

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
not much chance we will be able to guess the cause without some investigation and photos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back