Mains Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The switch between my son's consumer unit and the meter is faulty. Is an electrician allowed to remove mains fuse before the meter to fit a new switch or can this only be done by my power supplier Any advice much appreciated as my son is now without power!!

Sponsored Links
How do you know it's the switch?

How do you know it's the switch?

I know the switch is the problem as the cable is loose and cannot be tightened as the fitting has melted around the screw

Sponsored Links
Another one to us Lectrician :LOL:

I'd say in this circumstance it would be entirely reasonable for an electrician to remove the cutout fuse and perform an emergency repair.

I'd say it was an emergency call out for the DNO, and it would be the sparks responsibility to remove all load until the DNO turned up.

Hence no need to remove the fuse. ;)

Bozzle
Phone your ELECTRICITY SUPPLIER and tell them the isolator between the meter and Consumer Unit is hot and melting.
I would have thought somebody will be out with a new isolator within the hour or as soon as reasonably possible at no expense to you. [/b]

When my dad drilled through the circuit which carries the extractor fan in the bathroom the DNO fuse blew, I isolated the fuse on the circuit and the DNO came round in the hour to replace it. They didn't even charge us even though it was technicaly our fault.

The last thing the DNO want is a claim for a new house :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back