Mains Halogens with no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in rented accommodation and have been having problems with the 4 mains 100W linear halogen wall lights in the lounge blowing their bulbs very often (very expensive at ave £1.50 a shot).
Also when we use a timeswitch to turn them on, along with another 2 standard 60w bulbs, 3 times out of 4 the mcb trips.
I haven't complained to managers as they're a bunch of good for nothings who'll tell me tough on bulbs and not to use the timeswitch.
Anyway, I removed one of the halogen fittings and noticed that there's no earth wiring from the wall, and the light fitting has an earth place.
2 questions:
1)Could the lack of earth be causing the bulbs to blow prematurely, and the MCB to trip? (I installed a D type in case it was a problem with inrush current)
2)Is the wiring as it is legal (dangerous) and if not which authorities should be notified? It is all newly refurbished and I suspect by a bunch of cowboys. (Telephone sockets were incorrectly wired when we moved in etc)

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Right, first thigns first, take out the D MCB RIGHT THIS MINUTE. Chances are it is not suitable for your installation and should a REAL fault occur it might not clear it and cause a fire. THEN you WILL be in trouble, and lots of it. You have to have a VERY GOOD earth - You've just told us you think its insufficient.

Lack of earthing wont affect lamp life. If the light fittings are metal, they REQUIRE an earth - danger of electrocution without it. The case could become live and the MCB wouldnt trip (even more so with a D type). A D type MCB is for such as X ray machines, particle accellerators. Throw it in the bin, you will NEVER need it again.

The only authority you need to notify is your landlords. You are NOT allowed to mess with the electrical installation in a rented property.

Raise merry hell with them about the lack of earthing - if the fittings are metal - and tell them that you have a problem with the bulbs blowing often. When they send someone round, ask him for his sparkying credentials - see if he's a member of NICEIC or similar. Ask him to test your voltage and give you the results.

Out of interest, what wattage is the timeswitch? I wouldn't think it would be up to switching 520 watts at once, especially when 400 of those watts are halogen loads.

After having read your previous post in May, and the fact you never replied, I feel like I just wasted 10 mins of my life on you. Please do reply and let us know how you get on this time! :p

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
So are you saying it may be the timeswitch unit itself? Why would it cause the MCB to trip?
Also I'm surprised at what you say about D type MCBs. I was advised this by a couple of proper electrical stores, and I checked with the manufacturer. I installed the correct one for my installation CU. Anyhow it never helped - its probably the timeswitch as you say, but ill have to check its watt rating.
By the way i checked a few times if my post in may had been answered but it hadnt, im not here to waste anyones time.
Oh and ive also checked and realised the electrical sockets in the laounge(at least) arent earthed.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It was answered 13 minutes later - a sure feat at 2:38am.

Anyway enough of that . . .

C type MCBs are suitable for domestic use, but not normally nessecary - these are motor rated MCBs, which can take more inrush current.

D types are not installed on anything but the most demanding appliances, X rays and such like.

The timeswitch will probably not cause the MCB to trip, but, as a test get rid of it and use a normal switch. Did you fit the timeswitches? If so, the landlord is within their rights not to do anything about the problems, since its something you've added and they haven't approved (if they have to put your problem right they can charge for it)

i did try a c type but didnt help.
the timeswitch says 16A 3500W max. I didnt install it.
So is it shody wiring if it isnt any of what ive suggested?

And the landlord is saying dont use the timeswitch? :confused: How can you not use it if it controls your lights? :confused:

I'm having trouble visualising the setup. You have 4 wall lights at 100 watts each, in one room? Thats a LOT of light. You dont have any dimmers or anything?

I'd get the landlord in to do an electrical inspection, "on recommendation of a friend who is an electrician". As I said when the electrician arrives ask him for his credentials. If he cant produce NICEIC ID or any other registration body ID, dont let him touch your wiring, then ring your landlord and ask for a proper spark!

My lights are wired through the timeswitch. if its set to manual the lights work fine when switched on from the normal light switches. If i say the timeswitch isnt working theyll tell me not to set it.
We have one large living room in the flat. Not long before we moved in it was all redecorated 'posh' so they took out the ceiling fitting and installed 4 halogens on the walls around. Theyre not bright at all. I even have to put 150Ws (this problem happens with the 100s too) in to get some sort of normal brightness and even then we need an extra standing lamp. I think its the shields on them that dim the brighness of the bulbs.
The only thing they do is heat the room up which is terrible in the summer.
I can tell anyone thinking of halogens-HALOGENS ARE OUTSIDE LIGHTS FOR FLOODLIGHTING NOT FOR YOUR LIVING ROOM!.
Anyway im just trying to work our whats triipping the MCB when the timeswitch turns the lights on.

Like I said - a question for an electrician. The landlord fitted the fittings, its their responsibility. Dont mention the timeswitch, though they should fix this. And mention the dangerous situation you have with the earth on the light fittings. Use the word danger - this normally gets some response.

Ok thanks very much for the advice. I realise i have to go to them but i always like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible before hand as they like to get away with the least possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back