Mains Isolation

So why didn't you have an isolator installed while the fuse was pulled for the new CU to go in?

Sponsored Links
I've had two meter changes since I've lived here, and asked for an isolator each time. The first time I was told that the meter fitter would conduct a risk assessment to see if an isolator was necessary - he decided it wasn't. The second time the fitters said it wasn't company policy.

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of one being fitted by the electrician, without reference to the DNO, when he'd pulled the fuse without reference to the DNO to add a CU...

Sponsored Links
I've had two meter changes since I've lived here, and asked for an isolator each time. The first time I was told that the meter fitter would conduct a risk assessment to see if an isolator was necessary - he decided it wasn't. The second time the fitters said it wasn't company policy.
Interesting. Obviously very different from my experiences with E.ON, who didn't 'bat an eyelid' (or charge me). What supplier was this, I wonder?

Kind Regards, John

I have one now, I just called my supplier and asked for one. And then called the dno when they said it's not their job. Then called the supplier again. Then waited a while. Then called again. Then emailed. Then eventually they called me and said they'd do it but they'd charge 60 quid.
Anyway, a g4s chap came specially to fit it and I was never charged in the end!
This was flow energy. Apparently none ever asked for one before.

I have one now, I just called my supplier and asked for one. And then called the dno when they said it's not their job. Then called the supplier again. Then waited a while. Then called again. Then emailed. Then eventually they called me and said they'd do it but they'd charge 60 quid. Anyway, a g4s chap came specially to fit it and I was never charged in the end
I imagine that most suppliers are more inclined to do it (without question/argument), and more inclined to not charge for doing it, at the time of a meter change than if/when they have to send someone out specifically to do it.

Kind Regards, John

Except mine.:(
Well, I did only say "more inclined" :) - but your experiences certainly seem to indicate that it's probably as much down to the mood of the person one asks as it is to anything else!

I've heard that making the request 'on the day' is also known to work, particularly if the request is accompanied by tea and nice biscuits!!

Kind Regards, John

The phone "service desk" people are not much good with queries outside their script. I always suggest a letter, which will be logged and passed along until it reaches somebody who knows what to do.

I fitted mine by writing a short letter to the supplier. After a while somebody phoned me for an appointment and a helpful man came and pulled the fuse, then came back after an hour or so and put it back. No charge. I did provide my own isolator and enclosure.

I did the same with ENWL. Fitted my own isolator and lidded enclosure with tails ready then called them and they came and fitted the tails to the meter and left me to fit the other end to the CU while he scoffed biccies and copious gallons of tea, then re-energised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back