Mains Supply/Winter Freeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a pretty dumb question, but if you don't ask..... :rolleyes:

I have an empty house and after seeing the weather recently :eek:,

I decided to turn of the water mains valve as it comes into house in the kitchen and bleed water from the tanks.

Obviously, like all the simplest tasks in life, it wasn't straightforward :rolleyes: Firstly the kitchen fitters must have dumped the handle for the mains tap, so I had a spindle to work with, and they did fit that kitchen nice and tight around the tap :(

Anyway I managed to work on the valve, but it was stiff, so I am left with a constant running dribble of water. I unplugged the cold tap though and diverted this into the waste pipe and tied it down, not a 100% job but better than a trashed house due to a burst pipe, and with ice in one of my attic tanks I think arrived just in time :unsure:

Anyway sorry to go on, but am I right in thinking its ok and legal for me to turn of my mains stopcock off in the street by myself without asking the water board?

And should I think about bleeding the heating oil fired heating system too?

Thanks

P

Sponsored Links
You need to ascertain that the outside toby doesn't connect with any other properties :eek: or your popularity could wane.....
As for the rest, either leave the heating on, or drain completely down - you won't get all of the water out so expect a burst in the lowest pipes but at least you could save the boiler.
If the cold tap is dripping it could allow the drain to freeze outside, due to its slow flow...happened to my shower last night.
John :)

Thanks for the fast repsonse guys, and your thoughts on this.

But nothing in life is ever simple (at least where Im concerned), the house has no electric supply at present so I cant use heating 24/7. Even if I could I have no room thermostat to set temp to low degrees, so the boiler would just run default or on timer. And even if I had electric, Im struggling just to keep my main residence going atm as I've just bounced back after a year from a redundany and unemployment :( . Im waiting for the empty house to sell but its so difficult atm., and a real burden to maintain.

Sponsored Links
Turn the mains off in the street, open kitchen tap to check it is off. Open all taps in house and drain down hot water cylinder. You will need a hose attached to the drain cock at the bottom of the hot water cylinder, to empty it.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back