Mains water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know roughly what the average mains water pressure is in pounds per sq inch?

I'm trying to work out how high I need to site a water tank to supply collected rainwater around my garden at a reasonable pressure. ie close to mains as I can get.

My plan is to link numerous water butts to a central very large elevated tank. The water from the butts would be gravity fed to a central pump which would lift the water into the elevated tank for storage.

The elevated tank would then feed outside taps place around the garden on demand.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
anything beetween 15 to 50 or higher depends on the local water co

Lovely thanks KevP

(By the way thanks for all your help on my last visit. Your advice was invaluable and my waste swimming pool water venting system is working a treat). ;)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Oh dear that means to reach a lowly 15 psi I need to elevate the tank to around 10 metres!? Does that sound about right?

Sponsored Links
bathjobby said:
Saw a newspaper advert the other day for a submersible garden water butt pump i.e. throw it in the butt with your hose attached and hey presto. Wouldn't this be a cheaper / better option assuming you have the garden space for the ground level butts ?
Sorry can't recall the newspaper, but a there are a load of them here too;
http://webshop.keyind.co.uk/is-bin/...-/GBP/WS_FrameSet-Product?SKU=MM74222[/QUOTE]

Nice one thanks.
I was intially thinking of using a pumped system but I quite liked the idea of maybe using a single small pump running on off peak electricity to fill an elevated tank. I could then use the stored water at my leisure without using any further power, assuming I could generate enough pressure.

The garden is about one acre and we are thinking about putting in some underground irrigation. We've got a lot of roof space and a lot of water butts which are currently largely unused. They currently contain some very dodgy looking water!

A concern has to be not only the height of the butts if you want to draw down using gravity but also the weight the water will put on your structure. You may well need an engineer to calculate that and check that your current structure is strong enough.

bathjobby said:
A concern has to be not only the height of the butts if you want to draw down using gravity but also the weight the water will put on your structure. You may well need an engineer to calculate that and check that your current structure is strong enough.

Good point... fortunately I'll be constructing a new garage block and intend to put the tank in the loft space. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be building the worlds tallest garage!

If your going that high (double storey almost) to get the pressure you want, seems a shame to do so just for the tanks. May as well better utilise the space (planning permission aside for a moment) and go 2 storey with some sort of accommodation, office, etc above the garage with the tanks/butts in that loft space.

bathjobby said:
If your going that high (double storey almost) to get the pressure you want, seems a shame to do so just for the tanks. May as well better utilise the space (planning permission aside for a moment) and go 2 storey with some sort of accommodation, office, etc above the garage with the tanks/butts in that loft space.

Indeed, I keep saying to myself ...water tank or snooker room...hmmm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back