Major EU governments shamed into crackdown on tax evasion

you cant blame the poor old factory worker for spitting his tea out when he hears old Cameroon giving rousing speeches on the morals of tax avoidance either.

Ordinary PAYE tax payers are not in such privileged position to exploit such devious methods. It is the fact that only a small percentage of wealthy individuals that have access to the knowledge and expensive accountancy practices, allowing them to further increase their wealth that stinks. Whilst the pi$$ poor grunts continue pay the full wack on their income.

Stop press...rich people have an easier time than poor people. I agree with your sentiment but it will never change. Does stink though.

Sponsored Links
Interesting to see that a corruption scam has now also been hacked and published. I stand by my opinion that government agencies are doing the hacking. If GCHQ is reading the Kremlin, and CIA is reading ISIS, and China is hacking the Pentagon, and Putin is bugging Angela, and Mossad is bugging everyone on the West Bank, it should be easy for them to hack a bunch of crooks, and slide selected evidence towards some "investigative journalists" who will publicise it. If Halliburton isn't mentioned, assume it's the CIA*.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b079prlt

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...s_56fa2b06e4b014d3fe2408b9?1wjgvnjaujs2s2a9k9

If tax evasion and thefts went down by, say, ten billion a year, it would help a lot of national budgets. According to one estimate, $1 trillion is paid in bribes to public sector officials annually, and obviously the crooks expect to get back much more than they pay.

I hear the Nigerian army is outgunned by Boko Haram because its arms and equipment budget was looted. Public opinion, and some activists, are needed to push politicians down the right road. Maybe some pitchforks, too.

*edit: oops, Halliburton...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kbr-unaoil-corruption_us_56fafbf1e4b0a06d5803f5b8

Last edited:
Stop press...rich people have an easier time than poor people. I agree with your sentiment but it will never change. Does stink though.

Instead of Cameroon spouting blatant hypocritical speeches about tax dodging companies/individuals, why then doesn't he offer free tax accountancy workshops and clinics to ordinary working folk showing them how they can do the same? Kind of equal opportunity thing, eh?

Get the bosses of factories to pay the workers wages into a fund in Panama then pay them a dividend, virtually tax free. We could all avoid tax and live happily ever after. No, that would be silly, we need the poor to pay for everything.

Are you suggesting the poor are poor becuase they pay for "everything"? Or if not that, how does "everything" get paid for if only those without any money are the only ones paying money for it?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting the poor are poor becuase they pay for "everything"? Or if not that, how does "everything" get paid for if only those without any money are the only ones paying money for it?

Nozzle

I think he means if you've got a lotta dough it's easier to hang on to it. If you're on the cards earning 25k a year you might be able to claim for 80 sovs a year laundry. If your on 25 Mill a year you tuck it away somewhere safe and pay virtually fook all. Yes though the millionaires "fook all" contribution does cover more than most peoples, I'm sure but it still stinks.

Well Lord Rothermere certainly isn't paying for it. Why should the rest of us pay for the public services available to him? And educating the workforce which his business profits from?

Well Lord Rothermere certainly isn't paying for it. Why should the rest of us pay for the public services available to him? And educating the workforce which his business profits from?

Do the people working for Lord Rothermere's Business not have the right to an education then? They can work for anyone they choose too, using the same education.

Nozzle

Are you suggesting the poor are poor becuase they pay for "everything"
Could be. Waddya think?
Maybe I'm just suggesting that tax avoidance should be available to ordinary PAYE individuals as well as the wealthy.
If it's good enough for Cameroon......(y)

Do the people working for Lord Rothermere's Business not have the right to an education then? They can work for anyone they choose too, using the same education.
Nozzle
I think you have missed the gist of JohnD's post. He's saying that Lord Rotherbother is a tax dodging shyster and that whilst he pays very little he benefits from those UK residents that have to pay full whack.

I'm sure you can see the acrimony in that.

Are you suggesting the poor are poor becuase they pay for "everything"
Could be. Waddya think?
Maybe I'm just suggesting that tax avoidance should be available to ordinary PAYE individuals as well as the wealthy.
It is available to anyone who has a case or a cause to use it.
CGT, Personal Allowances, Opt out of tax paid on Savings Interest (if your gross annual is below Personal Allowance), Premium Bonds free of tax, Electric vehicles, etc. There's loads of tax avoidance built into the system.

CGT, Personal Allowances, Opt out of tax paid on Savings Interest (if your gross annual is below Personal Allowance), Premium Bonds free of tax, Electric vehicles, etc. There's loads of tax avoidance built into the system.
Yes I know. That's why I'm suggesting that Cameroon et al encourage it and provide those less well off the means to access such wonderful tax avoidance, especially the bit where you ship all your money overseas and pay very little tax in return.(y)

Don't talk rubbish. You're twisting the meaning.

How does an ordinary worker transfer his income to somewhere where no (or miniscule) tax would be due?

Can a factory worker in Birmingham (pretend to) live in Monaco?

Seeing how it would impractical to commute to Birmingham every day, perhaps he could have a second house in Birmingham paid for at taxpayers' expense (including £200 a time to have somebody come in and change a lamp, £5000 landscaping etc.). After all, if certain other people working in Westminster get that because they live too far away to commute to work every day, why shouldn't the factory worker in Birmingham get it too?

Now you're being silly.

That would only be viable if someone poorer than you paid the second house's mortgage for you.

Hang on...

Don't talk rubbish. You're twisting the meaning.
How does an ordinary worker transfer his income to somewhere where no (or miniscule) tax would be due?
I see you've picked one sentence of my comment and applied it to just one issue of tax avoidance, which might be tax evasion, depending on the circumstances. You're twisting the semantics of my comment.

Cameron was accused of tax avoidance because he sold his shares before the £10K CGT threshold was reached. Thus it wasn't my interpretation of tax avoidance. It was his political accusers who coined the phrase 'tax avoidance' when he was using personal tax allowances.

To be able to be taxed in another country, you have to be registered there for residency. Some countries, it makes no difference because you're still assessed in your country of nationality. I believe USA and France have that arrangement where you have to declare and are taxed on your global income, although there are some double taxation treaties in place. (Although France, I believe, applies it to those registered for residency rather than nationality).
To be registered as resident, the majority of countries require you to have more six months each year spent in that country, or to have reasonable family, social or business connections with that country. How does a factory worker in Birmingham register for residency in Monaco? Don't talk rubbish.

What about those tax avoidance opportunities that I specifically mentioned? And there's more opportunities that I didn't mention, hence the 'etc'.
I'll repeat my comment below, all of it, for you to peruse my comment again.
It's up to the individual to be aware of any allowances that are due to them, except PAYE, where personal tax allowances are automatically applied.
To be fair, noseall's comment about tax advice clinics has some merit . Although I dare say the tax office will advise anyone of any allowances due, but if you don't know you won't ask. There are now plenty of websites advising people on financial affairs, one of which is taxation.
Perhaps there's a need for a DIYtax forum or site.

Sponsored Links
Back