Major water leak in central heating system

Sponsored Links
Wish this was a wind up, I'm feeling pretty uneasy at the moment!

Will try turning off every rad and allowing the tank to fill first thing tomorrow, John, and will report back .....

Please do - turning off the rads won't cure or prove anything, but you need to start listening for leaks now, and with the rads gurgling etc there's too much background noise. Are your pipes microbore? I'm wondering if one of the manifolds has failed (somehow)!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Here is my latest news:

Went into loft this morning and looked in header tank. 4" of water in there, as normal.

Turned on water for header tank. As the water came in, the water already in the tank went out. Rapidly.

Turned off water source to header tank and turned off all the radiators.

Turned on water for header tank and left on. Water level in tank dropped swiftly to 1" and water kept running in and out.

Went round house to listen. Much easier without the rads gurgling.

The only sound of water running that I could hear was in the box which goes down the corner of the kitchen and contains the sewage pipe and, I think, some central heating pipes. Looked under kitchen units in that corner. No sign of water, but could still hear water running until I turned the water source to the header tank off again.

Checked outside again, in area up that corner. No sign of any water.

What do you think?

I wonder if the pipes do run down through the soil pipe duct and somehow a joint has popped apart. It a possibility the soil pipe wasnt sealed where it comes through the floor and the water is escaping down there under the house. Age of property, could well have a beam and block floor, so there could be a big void under there for the water to escape into.

Well MJ the plot does indeed thicken.
What really confuses me is that the header tank has 4" water in it at the beginning of the day...why doesn't that drain out?
Next, as soon as you let water in, the level immediately drops and doesn't recover.
How are you filling the header tank? Does the ball valve have its own isolator tap on the pipe? Is the header tank filled by the mains, or is there another tank above this one?
I think you are going to have to break into the SVP box, and see if water is going down into the floor void, as Detective Inspector Hugh says.
John :confused: :)

you say you have a condensing boiler.

where does the condensate drain to? Is it where you hear the running water?

does the kitchen sink go into this plumbing duct? can you see any removable panels where the pipes go into it?

p.s. I was a bit surprised that you have a condensing boiler and a feed & expansion tank.

TBH John, I cant think of anywhere else the volume of water that MJ seems to be talking about could be going without manifesting itself somewhere! :confused:

TBH John, I cant think of anywhere else the volume of water that MJ seems to be talking about could be going without manifesting itself somewhere! :confused:

Or she's got a b l o o d y great hole under the house :eek:

If there is a beam and block floor then there could possibly be a large cavity under it. Without breaking into the soil pipe duct to ascertain if the water is leaking here and escaping under the floor I wouldnt want to rule it out. (Unless the source of the mysterious water loss is located elsewhere!)

So.....the day starts with 4" water in the F&E tank, buit immediately more is added, it all drains out?
Can't figure that one out at all :confused:
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back