Major window leak via cracked lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some (potentially less experienced) builders installed window in garage year ago, now water streaming in through top of frame when heavy sideways rain

1000016128.jpg

1000016134.jpg

Suspect they didn't put any waterproofing/flashing above (now slightly cracked) lintel and sideways rain soaking into and down the bricks above.

1000016149.jpg

1000016147.jpg

Pre frame install

20210824_201550.jpg

Would chopping out bricks above, replace lintel with flashing/waterproofing fix this? Any other thoughts of cause

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think your extractor vent could be an entry point for rain. It doesn't appear to be sealed well, and the little solar light might also be causing an issue. I'm thinking that the water ingress and lintel crack are unrelated.
Over to you guys!

Out of interest, do you know if a cavity tray was installed when the lintel went in?

I don't unfortunately, trying to find out from the builders what they did (or didn't do)

Sponsored Links
Perhaps this is what was needed, pic pre frame above doesn't appear to show anything of cavity tray below lintel.

I'll try also sealing the vent (strange then when sudden heavy rain, starts pouring in again), but the water leakage inside is quite evenly saturated across full width of window (not just where vent is)

Stone lintel & bricks porous, so probably reach saturation point whereby bit more rain suddenly unleashes the torrential inside (and then quite quickly stops)

Was fine for first year and a bit after install. Weird

What is the vent for, if there is no extractor fan inside I think I would tape it up, as you have the top of the window, or at least replace the vent with a cowl and see if that improves things. As Ollyfp says I would also be wanting to know if a cavity tray has been installed. I am wondering though how so much water seems to be getting into the cavity when the brickwork/ stonework pointing looks in such good condition. Yes I think you are correct in so much as that is how it should have been constructed especially in view of the fact that the lintel has cracked. If the window ever needs to be replaced there could be a serious risk of the outer skin collapsing. Either way it is up to the builder to sort it out so get them back again.

Last edited:
What is the vent for, if there is no extractor fan inside I think I would tape it up, as you have the top of the window, or at least replace the vent with a cowl and see if that improves things. As Ollyfp says I would also be wanting to know if a cavity tray has been installed. I am wondering though how so much water seems to be getting into the cavity when the brickwork/ stonework pointing looks in such good condition. Yes I think you are correct in so much as that is how it should have been constructed especially in view of the fact that the lintel has cracked. If the window ever needs to be replaced there could be a serious risk of the outer skin collapsing. Either way it is up to the builder to sort it out so get them back again

All good JJ, but would you get 'that' builder back? Personally, I'd get an old pro in to sort it out. I'm not familiar with this type of lintel, so it's hard to judge whether or not it would have been strong enough to support the load.

Why should he pay twice. He knows what needs doing now. Personally with the weight of the 2 story gable on it I don't think that lintel would be deemed suitable on it's own, in fact why else would it have cracked.

Why should he pay twice. He knows what needs doing now. Personally with the weight of the 2 story gable on it I don't think that lintel would be deemed suitable on it's own, in fact why else would it have cracked.
Fair point, but I don't think the original builder would actually know how to sort it out. That's just me. I've been in that situation and I think sometimes it's best just to move on.

Thanks chaps, no way gonna trust the original builders to fix will move on with someone experienced, hopefully before side of house collapses

Thanks chaps, no way gonna trust the original builders to fix will move on with someone experienced, hopefully before side of house collapses
I'm sure you've made the right call. Keep us posted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back