Make your own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's an abundance of "bio diesel" kits on the market to make your own but my question is this, Why do you have to pay tax on producing your own diesel when :

1/. Tax has already been paid on the cooking oil that you'd use
2/. It would normally be disposed off, instead you are doing you're bit by recycling this waste and reusing it, thus saving on demand for extracting more fuel from the earth.
3/. why should you be penalised for being eco friendly

We are led to believe that high surcharges on fuel are to cut back on consumption of oil reserves so what better than to recycle? In doing so you should be getting a rebate not be taxed twice!

Therefore the only justification I can see in the government taxing you is to gain profit, not to justify any ecological initiative!

Sponsored Links
As John D has pointed out on many occasions - a government has to balance the books. If they don't put tax on fuel - then they'll have to put it on something else. Fancy VAT at 20%?

Besides, all this bio from Mazola is a waste of time. How much old chip pan oil do you dump each week?

Mazola :?: I thought peanus and bananas came from Mazola(people`s republic of )

Sponsored Links
Besides, all this bio from Mazola is a waste of time. How much old chip pan oil do you dump each week?

brand new "chip oil" does the job just as well.

ive been looking into these home kits but i have yet to take the plunge. mainly because i dont have a diesel car :LOL:

e85 might be worth a punt but it seems to be harder and more dangerous to make at home.

What's the point when cooking oil costs more to produce? Remember the biggest charge on fuel is tax. Besides that, we use 65 million ltres of fuel per day. That's a lot of chip fat. Where's it all coming from?

I am collecting the parts to make my own kit does any one on here have one?

What's the point when cooking oil costs more to produce? Remember the biggest charge on fuel is tax. Besides that, we use 65 million ltres of fuel per day. That's a lot of chip fat. Where's it all coming from?

sorry im not with you on the cost thing. you can buy veggie oil at around 50p per litre. even if you used a kit to convert it its still cheaper than 102p per litre diesel.

thats the big failing of biodiesel. if everyone wanted to use it there wouldnt be nearly enough.

Some people have great difficulty in the use of the terms who's and whose. Who's should never be confused with whose because who's is a contraction of 'who is' or 'who has' (who's he?) while whose means 'belonging to' (whose pen is this?). It can be quite confusing for even the experienced reader. For example, if I wrote "Who's next for the chop?" some people might construe it as a spelling error They would be wrong! If it was an error, then it would be a grammatical one and not a spelling one.

Are there any words that you find confusing?

How did my post end up here? It was supposed to be a new topic!

edited/deleted - I have no idea how the post I wrote ended up here but it was unintentional

sorry im not with you on the cost thing. you can buy veggie oil at around 50p per litre. even if you used a kit to convert it its still cheaper than 102p per litre diesel.

thats the big failing of biodiesel. if everyone wanted to use it there wouldnt be nearly enough.

If you don't pay tax on fuel - then the tax you would have paid will have to be paid elsewhere. Tax on fuel is 47% plus VAT at 17.5%.

The government has to balance the books somehow.

If you don't pay tax on fuel - then the tax you would have paid will have to be paid elsewhere. Tax on fuel is 47% plus VAT at 17.5%.

The government has to balance the books somehow.

But the excuse for it being so high 47% is that it is non-environmentally friendly, but Bio is far more friendly and does not use a fossil fuel to produce and most of the by products can be re-used, this is why your first 2500 ltr is tax free and then aprox 27p per ltr after that. even if you use fresh veg oil it still comes in cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Back