Making a caravan mains hook up cable

Sponsored Links
Since we seem to be in a standards-what-do-they-mean-by-that mode today, shall I ask you what "arctic" cable actually is? :ROFLMAO:
2009 Winter Wiring Matters arctic cables by Mark Coles went into this seems British Standard BS 7919 is for 110 volt use only. (Centre Tapped) it should be able to go down to -25°C.
Neither BS 6500 nor BS 7919 requires the cable to be marked with the word Arctic. Should any cable be marked as Arctic, it is solely the responsibility of the manufacture to justify any such claim. The only PVC flexible cable that could be classified as being suitable for low temperature use is a cable to BS 7919 Table 44 as it can be installed and handled down to a temperature of -25°C; it would seem logical that only this cable would/should have the term ‘ARCTIC’ marked on it.
I am not sure I agree with all which has been said about Arctic cables I remember spraying some yellow Arctic cable with freezer fluid and hitting it with a hammer and it shattered. Maybe I got it too cold? It would seem a lot of Arctic cable is only suitable for down to +5°C.

I am not sure I agree with all which has been said about Arctic cables I remember spraying some yellow Arctic cable with freezer fluid and hitting it with a hammer and it shattered. Maybe I got it too cold? It would seem a lot of Arctic cable is only suitable for down to +5°C.
That's the sort of thing which happens when terms have no proper, guaranteed, meaning.

Sponsored Links
2009 Winter Wiring Matters - Arctic Cables said:
Ordinary duty low temperature PVC insulated and sheath 300/500 V flexible cable, manufactured to BS 7919 Table 44 (not harmonised), commonly referred to as 3183A (Arctic Grade Flex), was specifically designed and, hence, included in the British Standard, for use at 110 V a.c. from centre tapped transformers (55 V - 0 - 55 V).
So maybe the original intent was for use with 110V site tools, but as that extract acknowledges, they have the usual 300/500V rating anyway, so are perfectly fine for 240V use.

But what exactly is he trying to say in the table at the bottom of the first page?

The cables are suitable for –
– use with temporary traffic light systems when suitably protected.

The cables are not suitable for:
– outdoor use at standard voltages
So which is it? (Assuming he doesn't believe that temporary traffic lights are installed indoors!)

And isn't the definition of ELV still <50V a.c?

Apparently because carbon black at 2% can ****** the degradation process :
Ah, right - so it's not the colour, per se, but rather the substance that is providing the UV resistance. Does that mean that something which was black by virtue of a colouring agent other than carbon black would have much less UV resistance? If so, do we know that all black cables actually have carbon black?

Kind Regards,
John

Does that mean that something which was black by virtue of a colouring agent other than carbon black would have much less UV resistance? If so, do we know that all black cables actually have carbon black?
I think it's certainly the case that many do. Look at Belden's range of coaxial cables, for example, and most seem to be listed with black suitable for external use where exposed to sunlight with brown or white versions restricted to indoors.

Does that mean that something which was black by virtue of a colouring agent other than carbon black would have much less UV resistance? If so, do we know that all black cables actually have carbon black?
I think it's certainly the case that many do.
That I don't doubt, but I was wondering to what extent one can be sure that all do. In other words, can one assume that any black cable will contain carbon black, and therefore have UV resistance, or does one have to look more carefully to confirm that UV resistance is claimed?

Kind Regards, John

To what extent would you go by the supplier's specification? For example here it specifies BS6500, but the temperature range specified by the supplier is greater.
3183ag-blue-240v-3-core-arctic-grade-cable
IHNI what BS 6500 says.

But I am confident that it will specify minimum standards of performance. [ANALOGY]If Euro NCAP whatever says that for a car to get a 5* rating the passenger cell must survive a given crash impact there is absolutely no reason why a particular manufacturer should not build a car which can cope with a heavier one.[/ANALOGY]

But what exactly is he trying to say in the table at the bottom of the first page?

The cables are suitable for –
– use with temporary traffic light systems when suitably protected.

The cables are not suitable for:
– outdoor use at standard voltages
So which is it? (Assuming he doesn't believe that temporary traffic lights are installed indoors!)

And isn't the definition of ELV still <50V a.c?
If the article was written by Mark Coles do not try to divine any meaning, logic, or joined-up-thinking. That way madness lies. ;)

If the article was written by Mark Coles do not try to divine any meaning, logic, or joined-up-thinking. That way madness lies. ;)
Now I think about the name, wasn't he the guy saying that if you replace a lamp you have to rewire the entire house to the current edition of BS7671 or something?

Now I think about the name, wasn't he the guy saying that if you replace a lamp you have to rewire the entire house to the current edition of BS7671 or something?
I'm not sure how you managed that, but it was not me who wrote that!!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back