Making a staircase look 'posh'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a staircase look good. I've just moved into a house with a 50's style staircase thats got layers and layers of paint on it and it really doesn't look very nice. I've had loads to do in the house and was hoping that rather than buying a whole new staircase..I could maybe jazz it up as it were... I thought maybe I could buy wood boarding to cover the spindles so it looks like one of those solid staircases...as you can see I really have no idea in this case.

Idea's will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
We had the same problem and used half-moon shaped stair tiles (seagrass/hennep) to give the stair some character. Works a treat.

Put carpet down, covers all the paint very quickly. Changing the spindles and bannister is not that difficult and will look a lot better than panelling which looks very 60's and out of date.

I did intend to buy carpet for the stairs - paintwise I meant the side of the stairs bit...I was worried if I did buy a new banister/spindles that it would look odd - cause I'd want to clear varnish the new bits so the natural wood showed.

Do you think it would look odd having natural wood spindles and banister and the side of the stairs painted the colour of the hall - say cream?

Sponsored Links
griss said:
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a staircase look good. I've just moved into a house with a 50's style staircase thats got layers and layers of paint on it and it really doesn't look very nice. I've had loads to do in the house and was hoping that rather than buying a whole new staircase..I could maybe jazz it up as it were... I thought maybe I could buy wood boarding to cover the spindles so it looks like one of those solid staircases...as you can see I really have no idea in this case.

Idea's will be gratefully received.

I like this idea. Going to order the parts soon as my staircase doesn't have any handrails.

http://www.stairplan.com/fusion.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back