Making access holes in T&G Chipboard flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I embark on the plumbing I'll need to get access to existing pipework under the T&G chipboard flooring. In the past I've drilled off the nail heads and then carefully sawn through (using a circular saw) over the joist centres but it's always left a "squeaky" area of the floor - there must be a better way, what is it?
I remember seeing a widget (from Trend?) that used a router to cut a circle - are they any good?
What do "real" plumbers use?

DaveS[/b]

Sponsored Links
You may find easier to use a nail puller.

The squeaky floor area, I just put in extra joists in and double up if needed.

Be interesting to see if any plumber here can come up with a better idea.

if your worried about tiying in the boards together where youve
cut the tounges secure a bit of 2+1to form a ledge for the accsess
panel to sit on

big all

Sponsored Links
Depends how big a hole you need. I have installed plastic heating almost all through holes cut with a cheap 5 inch holesaw. Speedfit is ok because it isn't stoopidly hard to push together, like say polyplumb is.

YOu put a 4" plank through the ole, screw it each side with say 4 screws, and then one through the drill hole in the middle of the 5" disc into the plank. He no sqweek.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back