Making good a bouncy floating floor, ready for karndean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
ok i've put a floating floor of:
25mm polystyrene under 18mm t&g chipboard, under 4mm wpb ply, on top of my DPC proofed concrete base in my 24sqm extension. All in readiness for my karndean to be laid.
However, i noticed some bouncy areas, one especially where the floor meets the kitchen floor, so a ciritical area really. I was advised to use some sand under the polystyrene boards to help level it.....and that has worked a treat! :)
However, after then covering the rest of the floor, for some reason i didn't notice 2 other areas where i get the trampoline effect.
My friend has advised me to drill a 10mm hole down through to the concrete floor, inject some gap filling foam for about 2-3 secs so it spread under the poly boards, then fill the drilled out hole with 10mm dowel. He says it takes about 5 mins to do and solidifies all the bouncy areas. He's done it before on a karndean floor he'd already fitted, by taking up one plank, applying this drill/fill method, then re sticking down the plank (or a new plank, whatever).

I just wanted to see what you floor fitters have to say too if you please.
One bouncy bit spans the length of my french doors, 1400mm. So if the method is approved, how may holes should i drill and fill for that length of floor?
I've yet to nail down the ply on to this bit, so at least i shouldn't have any issues once filled as the ply sits on top of the drilled/filled hole.

All advice appreciated.
Jacko

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back