Making good dropped ceiling boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1950's house. All of the ceilings are plasterboard that has been fixed with nails. Over the years settlement of the structure has no doubt caused some of the plasterboard to 'drop' relative to neighbouring sections.

We therefore have lots of straight line cracks. Over time the previous owner tried to cover up these cracks with lovely woodchip paper.

Budget constraints have meant that we cannot afford to have the ceilings replaced or even skimmed by a professional plasterer.

What I proposed to do is:

Remove woodchip paper with steamer (dodging the dripping hot water as I go)
Use screws suitable for ceiling boards to refix those boards that have dropped
'Scrape out' the joins/cracks
Use plasterboard tape to cover the joins
Skim the joins with a filler of some sort

How does this sound? Any obvious problems or omissions? Just looking for some input from people that have experienced the same thing and what you did to get a satisfactory end result.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem and its a job i've been meaning to do for a while, but didn't really know how. I be interested to hear too.

Still psyching myself up to tackle this whilst the electricians are in re-wiring - somebody can step in and offer some valuable advice whilst they still have the chance :LOL: !

There's a certain pleasure that comes from ridiculing the stupidity of others. Theres another sort of pleasure that comes from saving someone from their own ignorance. There's yet another that comes from helping someone that is obviously in over their head.

Unfortunately none of that applies here. That's why you're not getting any answers. What your proposing seems fine.

I could always call you a wuzzock just for the sake of it though eh :)

Sponsored Links
D J Fryer said:
Skim the joins with a filler of some sort
Use Easi-fill with Gyproc Thistle Protape FT50 (Self adhesive glass fibre reinforcing mesh tape).

TexMex - a wuzzock indeed, probably one of the nicer things I have been called over the years :LOL:

masona - cheers for the product advice - will look at those now. I think after chatting with my wife we may line the ceilings anyway - she's not confident of them looking that great unless we do, we shall see. I presume from those product names that you use the self adhesive take first and then fill over with easi-fill to get a smooth finish?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back