Making good wall after new electrical sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

We decided to replace our gas cooker as it is working but ancient, but were told we needed to move the socket as it was above the cooker- fair enough.
The electrician completely disconnected everything from the old socket (there is just a hole there now)
And rerouted the cabling, he drilled a hole in the ceiling and chases down the walls.

The sockets were made live, and we have chases in the wall and above the new socket., i can actually see the metal box where the cables go into the socket.

I asked the electrician if the plasterer can just plaster the sockets straight over now and he said yes, but is this safe?
If wet plaster goes into the cable holes wont that be dangerous?.

Should the cables have been left unconnected to the mains until the plasterer does his job or am i being silly?

I am not sure how to get all this fixed safely, i have working sockets right now, but obviously cant leave the chases long term

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just an addendum, we need to refurb the kitchen anyway (replastering and painting) so when he said rerouting the cabling was a better solution than a blanks box on the wall i wasnt fussed.

I just need to know if its safe for a plasterer to plaster around live sockets?

Thanks.

Yes this is fine, as long as your plasterer isn’t soaking the wall with water. The electrician should have used some cable grommets which should help with ingress protection, which is how it should be, which is probably why your electrician has said it’s fine to proceed with plastering.

Thanks, are the grommets the rings i can see by the cabling?
I did ask about the dust i could see in the socket but he said it wouldnt be a problem and was a common thing with rewiring, i think i am just being over anxious

I will get the plasterer in, thanks :)

1681638790031.png

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yes they are, the plasterer will probably use some bonding first before using the finishing coat(s). If you are really concerned you could always isolate the circuit.

I would isolate the circuit and release the socket from the back box, until the plasterer has finished his work. Nothing worse, than trying to plaster with live parts about, so it would be a quicker, easier and better job with the power off.

Once he's done and the plaster has set up enough - an hour or two, clean out the plaster from the box, refit the socket, and turn the power back on.

Yeh i would have insisted on the circuit being off while being worked on.

I know it will seem daft to people here, but i am not comfortable with taking the front plate off myself to be honest.
I do some diy now (painting and siliconing etc) but wont go within a mile of electrics, plumbing or gas.

I will get a plasterer to advise me i guess, perhaps they are used to taking the front plates off, or failing that have the electrician do it before the plastering. But i think maybe my first bet is getting a reputable plastering company in and listening to them.

Thanks guys.

Chivers has answered about the grommets, but there’s no ingress protection - not sure how vital this is on a back box. Perhaps ask the plasterer to cut some plasterboard to cover the top section of the back box before starting to plaster or just engage in conversation with them to see how best they want to proceed. Slackening off the front plate isn‘t difficult and not really that dangerous, but again speak to your plasterer.

Chivers has answered about the grommets, but there’s no ingress protection - not sure how vital this is on a back box. Perhaps ask the plasterer to cut some plasterboard to cover the top section of the back box before starting to plaster or just engage in conversation with them to see how best they want to proceed. Slackening off the front plate isn‘t difficult and not really that dangerous, but again speak to your plasterer.

Yeh the rings look way to big to be protective to be honest, but when i pointed out a fair bit of dust had already gone down those holes the electrician seemed to think i was being daft.

I will do as you say and speak to the plasterer. I imagine they have plastered a tonne of these things over the years and i will go with a registered firm rather than someone off mybuilder etc.

Reactions: CBW
I always brush dust out but I normally make good the walls too with some bonding - in fact some people use bonding to hold the back box in place.

I always brush dust out but I normally make good the walls too with some bonding - in fact some people use bonding to hold the back box in place.

To be honest i have no idea if the electrician did clean the inside of the box after drilling, i just noticed a lot of dust is on the visible surfaces. I also have no idea about plastering/bonding unfortunately.

I am not totally useless at everything, i tiled my bathroom and do bits and bobs, i just get really nervous with anything to do with electrics.

Anyway it looks like my next step is get in a good plasterer and talk to him! thanks for the help guys i really do appreciate it.

Yeh the rings look way to big to be protective to be honest, but when i pointed out a fair bit of dust had already gone down those holes the electrician seemed to think i was being daft.

The 'rings' are grommets, intended to protect the cable from being abraded by the sharp edge of the metal box holes, nothing more. Once the plastering is done, simply clean out any plaster and dust, which has found its way onto the cables inside the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back