Makita BHP453RF 18V.....1.3AH Battery or 3.AH Battery??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have decided to purchase a Makita BHP453RF 18v combi drill which comes with either a 3.0ah or purchased from another website with a 1.3ah battery.

Obviously the 3.0ah battery would be the better option capacity wise, but does it add extra weight to the drill itself and are there any other good and bad points to either battery capacities.

Mandy :?:

Sponsored Links
The weight variance being minimal, is hardly a worthy deciding factor, what is, is the cost difference verses your intended.
Firstly did you know that both ni-cd and ni-mh batteries, both self discharge! The period of elf discharge can be verified online by doing a simple search, I don't know about Li-ion, but you can check yourself. The point is unless you'll use the cordless on a daily basis and use it to the point of almost full discharge, then perhaps the bigger Ah value may be wasted...pinenot :) [/code]

I don't know about Li-ion, but you can check yourself.
Makita Li-Ion will hold charge for months on end. The weight difference between the 3.0Ah and 1.5Ah is minimal, but there are some tools which cannot be run on the 1.5Ah, namely the cordless SDS, jigsaw, circular saw, etc all of which draw so much current that they can cook the undersized battery. Were I the OP I'd go for the bigger battery, but then I'm a tradesman for whom a 1.5Ah makes no sense at all.

The 1.5ah battery option is only offered to get the price under £100 and hit a diy market. Buy the 3.0ah one.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The drill is looking at getting plenty of use as i am refurbishing a house but do nor reckon i will be using the battery for other power tools. I did have a Bosch hammer drill with an 18v 1.5ah battery and i noticed after using the hammer option to hang some radiators it ran out of juice.

The deal i can get is £118 for the drill above and the 3.0ah battery or £140 with the 2x1.3ah batteries.

:)

Of that choice I'd go for the 3.0Ah, no question. Mine lasts ages, easily long enough for a days general DIYing. If it does run out it's only 20mins to charge, so just a tea/toilet break and you are good to go. No need for two batteries and the weight difference is minimal

Got a link to the deal that's a great price!

Of that choice I'd go for the 3.0Ah, no question. Mine lasts ages, easily long enough for a days general DIYing. If it does run out it's only 20mins to charge, so just a tea/toilet break and you are good to go. No need for two batteries and the weight difference is minimal

Got a link to the deal that's a great price!

Hi

Yeah the deal for £118 is a pretty awesome price, i have a buddy that has a TP card....Travis Perkins card who also own Wickes. My local Wickes stock the item at full price of £147.99 but i will get about 20% off.....hence £118 ish price.....

http://www.wickes.co.uk/makita-bhp453rf-c-drill-18v/invt/215776/

I am not sure but if you are trade you must be able to get some form of discount through these guys.

Thanks again

Mandy ;)

I made the mistake of getting myself some 1.3Ah batteries, they are useless. They only work in that drill and even then for no time at all! I just brought myself a body only Recip saw and Planer only to discover that I couldn't use the 1.3Ah in it! So i've ended up buying a 3.0Ah after all!

I spoke to a mate and he sent me this:
http://www.its.co.uk/blog/post/What...ween-13Ah-30Ah-Makita-18V-batteries.aspx[url]

Its worth a read if your weighing up the options.

What did you go for?[/url]

Just go 3.0Ah hardly any weight difference for the extra power

makita 18v 3.0ah drill problem, drill has just stopped today the batterys are fully charged any one had the same probs

Check the switch they get corroded up sometimes, failing that do a systematic check form the motor out as it were...pinenot :)

The above drill was my first Makita purchase and it came with two 1.5Ah batteries. It blew away my previous B&D cordless drill and wish I'd changed over a lot earlier.
I do a fair bit of DIY at home and a letting house and rarely had to change batteries. If I ever did the used one went straight in the charger and was ready 20mins later anyway, so never found myself with two flat batteries. Had no regrets having two 1.5AH instead of one 3AH .....untill I got another Makita tool, a cordless circular saw for which 1.5Ah is insufficient.
So if you're confident you will never buy any other Makita tools and are DIY only stick with twin 1.5Ah. If you might expand your range or likely to be using the drill all day, definitely go for the 3.0AH. If 3.0AH is cheaper or same price go for 3.0AH

3.0ah everyday I'm in the trade and now looking at 5ah battery's
Bigger the number bigger the power

Despite having several 1.3 ah batteries ( Dewalt in my case ) which serve me well enough in my work I'd have to agree with the comments about bigger being better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back