Male handbags - dealing with hot weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When working in Italy it was far too hot to wear a jacket, for pockets to enable me to carry things, so like many of the natives - I ended up buyng a little handbags for my bits and pieces, money, plus essential documents. I still have that little leather bag, but reserve it for carrying travel documents now.

At the moment, in the UK, it is far too warm to wear a conventional jacket, despite the fact that I need the pockets. Not brave enough to carry a male handbag, so last year I bought myself a gilet - basically a lightweight sleeveless jacket, with lots and lots of pockets.

My home has a lot of internal thermal mass, is well insulated and I hate having flies in the house. When it's hot, I normally only have the side doors open, which is fitted with a magnetic closing fly screen - windows remain firmly closed, apart from trickle vents. If the sun streams in through windows, I close blinds to bounce the sun back out to help keep some heat out. Once darkness falls, I open the upstairs windows wide, to cool the interior down. If it is particularly warm still night, I might supplement an open bedroom window with a large fan drawing cooler night air into the bedroom.

22.2C at 8am this morning outdoors, inside it is a little warmer at 22.7C, but as it becomes hotter outdoors, it will remain relatively cooler indoors. I hate heat and being too hot!

Sponsored Links
i have had a gilet for some time - couple of M&S jobby when on offer - But i saw a really light weight version last week in an outdoor shop and purchased that - quite good
I have been looking at manbags for a while now , although I did pickup a very very small wallet at a garden centre a few weeks ago.

looked at various styles , canvas , leather - some really nice leather - but £160 , i bet they had some great quality leather in italy
but nothing really seemed to work - also looking at one that had a belt loop

I have shorts , that have pockets on the legs - some zipped , others with poppers

keys , wallet , and phone ,
I have a cover for the phone and with a couple of pockets on the flap and apple wallet - i probably dont always need the wallet - most cards are on stocard as well
But i dont yet trust the technology - phone goes wrong ........

My brother in law has always had a manbag, small canvas things, but he always seems to lose it, so we are often wondering around the house/garden looking either for his bag or glasses

i'll probably stick to pockets

Sponsored Links
Small rucksack. One shoulder usually, both when you need both hands. Far less jessie-ish.:LOL:

And (hot weather reference) you can carry a water bottle in there- can't in a gillet.

Reactions: CBW
I have shorts , that have pockets on the legs - some zipped , others with poppers

Trouser/shorts pockets are OK for light weights, but if you put any weight in those pockets you end up constantly pulling them back up against the weight.

I usually don't bother with bags unless on holiday in shorts. In the UK, I use my travelling sponge bag to carry stuff.
Abroad, I use a similar bag that is bright fluorescent orange to carry passports, tickets, money, keys, phone etc....

Being highly visible seems to deter theft, as it is so easy to spot.

I do like "work" type trousers with deep, wide thigh pockets. You can carry all sorts!

The canvas army type army bags have been used by blokes since I was a kid. Nowt wrong with a manbag :)

I sometimes use a waist/bum bag e.g. if going to a theme park for the day. Enough for storing your phone, wallet, sunglasses and other bits and bobs.

The canvas army type army bags have been used by blokes since I was a kid. Nowt wrong with a manbag :)
I used to have one of those to carry my school books but, I've not seen one for a long time.
We used to buy the in The Army and Navy store, do they even exist now?

I used to have one of those to carry my school books but, I've not seen one for a long time.
We used to buy the in The Army and Navy store, do they even exist now?

Do you mean the ex-army canvas gas mask bag? They were divided into two compartments, used to have a khaki string attached to the bag and a large metal 'washer' around which the loose string end could be would to fix it (original purpose unknown). I used to have on in the 60's, great for carrying sandwiches and a flask in. You could also get some bigger ones, with a course fabric weave, with two shoulder straps and two short wide bits of straps (who's purpose I was never able to work out). They were closed by a couple of brass buckle straps and the whole made for cheap motorbike panniers.

Do you mean the ex-army canvas gas mask bag? They were divided into two compartments, used to have a khaki string attached to the bag and a large metal 'washer' around which the loose string end could be would to fix it (original purpose unknown). I used to have on in the 60's, great for carrying sandwiches and a flask in. You could also get some bigger ones, with a course fabric weave, with two shoulder straps and two short wide bits of straps (who's purpose I was never able to work out). They were closed by a couple of brass buckle straps and the whole made for cheap motorbike panniers.
Like this.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back