man cave joist size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
finally building my mancave. Walls are up doing pitched roof shortly. Was going to put joists across width 4.2 mts to tie walls in and for storage. Wont be able to put much up there so wont be taking much weight so was wondering what size joists i should use and what spacing between?

Sponsored Links
finally building my mancave. Walls are up doing pitched roof shortly. Was going to put joists across width 4.2 mts to tie walls in and for storage. Wont be able to put much up there so wont be taking much weight so was wondering what size joists I should use and what spacing between?

This old version of Part A has span tables in the back. Table A3 is the one you want.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_A_1992.pdf

This post should probably be moved to the Building forum...

Cheers
Richard

I would definitely incorporate some of them in with the roof rafters to make a truss. It will help to stop the rafters sagging.
Frank

thanks for replies. Will prob use 8x2 at 600 centers. rafters will be 400 centers so can tie these in with joists at 1200,2400 etc. Was thinking of using joist hangers for joists to give me more room in "loft" but read somewhere its better to fix on top of wall plate. Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Joist hangers are of two types (I think), one type is for brick walls where they specify three courses of brick over the top of them else they move about. The other are for nailing to the face of a joist (or trimmer) so hanging joists from joists. So you can guess I have not seen any for joist to wall plate. I suppose you could use the brick type and fasten them to the top of the wall plate by drilling holes in them, BUT they will then stop anything else being fixed over them, unless you can drill through the rafter and hanger and use 8" long nails/screws.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back