Man made climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The world’s big banks have handed nearly $7tn (£5.6tn) in funding to the fossil fuel industry since the Paris agreement to limit carbon emissions, according to research. Eight in 10 of the world’s most eminent climate scientists now foresee at least 2.5C of global heating, according to the results of a Guardian survey published last week – an outcome expected to lead to devastating consequences for civilisation.

Researchers for the banking on climate chaos report, now in its 15th edition, analysed the world’s top 60 banks’ underwriting and lending to more than 4,200 fossil fuel firms and companies causing the degradation of the Amazon and Arctic. Those banks, they found, gave $6.9tn in financing to oil, coal and gas companies, nearly half of which – $3.3tn – went towards fossil fuel expansion. Even in 2023, two years after many large banks vowed to work towards lowering emissions as part of the Net Zero Banking Alliance, bank finance for fossil fuel companies was $705bn, with $347bn going towards expansion, the report says.

US banks were the biggest financiers of the fossil fuel industry, contributing 30% of the total $705bn provided in 2023, the report found. JP Morgan Chase gave the most of any bank in the world, providing $40.8bn to fossil fuel companies in 2023, while Bank of America came in third. The world’s second biggest financier of fossil fuels was the Japanese bank Mizuho, which provided $37.1bn. London-based Barclays was Europe’s biggest fossil fuel financier, with $24.2bn, followed by Spain’s Santander at $14.5bn and Germany’s Deutsche Bank with $13.4bn. Overall, European banks stumped up just over a quarter of the total fossil fuel financing in 2023, according to the report.

The Grauniad
Noted

Sponsored Links
Of course it’s man made

Increasing the world population from 2 billion in 1920 to 8 billion in 2020

And then to 9 billion in 2037 can’t be done without consuming vat amounts of resources and energy

I'm sure we are having an effect - like you say, 2 billion to 8 billion. But how much of an effect? Compared to all of the climate change between the Big Bang and today? How was the climate 2000, 5000, 10000, 100000, 1000000, 10000000 years ago?

I struggle with the fascination since 1900ish. It's too small a section of the timeline. Not to mention the sheer coincidence that it can all be solved by handing more money and authority to the state. Please allow me some cynicism there.

It's too small a section of the timeline.
All the more worrying how fast things are changing, surely.
Not to mention the sheer coincidence that it can all be solved by handing more money and authority to the state.
That is a different argument, but I don't know anyone who is actually claiming that.

Sponsored Links
I struggle with the fascination since 1900ish. It's too small a section of the timeline.

This is the past 2000 years. The reason for the fascination since 1900ish is because that is when temperatures started to shoot up ten times faster than at any other previous time.

1715708184565.png

Clues hidden deep in the trunks of ancient trees have revealed that last summer was the northern hemisphere's hottest in 2,000 years. Researchers say that temperatures last June, July and August were nearly 4C warmer than the coldest summer two millennia ago. Climate scientists have repeatedly shown that global temperatures have been rising rapidly in recent decades. According to the UN's climate body, the last time the world was consistently this warm may have been more than 100,000 years ago

BBCnews.co.uk

But how much of an effect? Compared to all of the climate change between the Big Bang and today? How was the climate 2000, 5000, 10000

Here is the past 22,000 years, as the earth came out of the last ice age. The earth is already quite warm by the standards of the past million years. And the worry is how quickly the temperature is rising.

1715710229252.png

Not to mention the sheer coincidence that it can all be solved by handing more money and authority to the state. Please allow me some cynicism there.

That is a different argument, but I don't know anyone who is actually claiming that.
I have been talking about exactly that and there are many realising the same

That's the point. (y)
So what are YOU going to do about it. - Maybe stop flying off to the ski resorts would be a start. _ or is that your angle on it - you are just worried that there will not be enough snow to play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back