Manhole problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to raise a cast iron manhole cover. It's the access to our septic tank which is only a few inches below surface. The frame is very seriously mortared onto onto the very iffy and rather crumbly concrete of the tank itself which looks to be original (1940s house). The concrete looks to be made up of sand and shingle from the nearby beach!

I am reluctant to start banging away to get the frame out as i worry the whole thing will collapse. So I am thinking I will just leave the frame in situ, mortar a course of blocks on to, and add a new frame. Does this sound like an acceptable idea?

Also, does anywhere sell just the frame for a cast iron (600 * 450) manhole cover?

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hire a body harness and anchor it so you won`t fall in the 5hyte :idea: Be careful - the neighbours will think you`re a SKY dish fitter dressed like that , and pester you about their broadband ;) . The iron surround will part from the concrete with a bolster chisel - irrispectve of how strong the pug looks

Please note, if you fall in - you won't be able to climb out. Have a work mate with you and do as Nige says about the harness.

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back