broken manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old manhole cover with a broken frame (3 of the four corners are broken). Over the last 80 years most of the mortar has worn away so that the cover and frame are loose and can be lifted clean off. Now that I have moved things around in the garden, from time to time people walk on the manhole cover so I am keen to get this fixed ASAP. A replacement cover+frame isn't really an option due to cost and size (approx 700mmx600mm, so not standard). So I am wondering whether in principle it would be secure enough to knock off the old mortar and lay the albeit broken frame onto new mortar (trying to get it square.....) and replacing the cover. Or is there maybe some way I can fix the frame back together?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

TIA

wrathkeg

Sponsored Links
If the frame is complete, its straightforward enough for the frame to be bronze welded back together - a blacksmith's job I guess.
When laying the frame back down onto mortar, take care to see that it is completely level or the lid will rock big time.
John :)

yes, the frame is complete so welding would be an option. does anyone have any thoughts as to whether something like this 'chemical metal' would work too, fixing the frame together until set into the mortar (which should make it easier to get level....assuming it got stuck together square)?[/url]

Epoxy putty is in fact an excellent product, and I've used it to fill a frost crack in an engine block for example. It could well work in your case if applied to the outside but get rid of the rust first!
No blacksmiths near you, presumably? Its a dead easy welding job.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Under a spreading chestnut tree the village smithy stands - And while the smith is gone away the village idiot ****es on his forge :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back