Manifold location??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to find my manifold for my microbore central heating system so i can add a new radiator. My Boiler used to be in the kitchen but was moved by previous owner into upstairs cupboard. I dont think the manifold would have been moved though. Rather than just starting to take up floor boards looking for the manifold can anyone suggest any normal locations used to place manifolds?

Sponsored Links
Usually one on each floor in a central location to feed the rads on that level. See if you can follow the 22mm pipes to a possible location or back run from a rad.
Pete

Thanks, i will try that, my downstairs floor is concrete so cant think of anywhere to look for the manifold downstairs?

You don't have to make a new connection at the mainfold. Any point on the main flow and return pipes will do.

Sponsored Links
chris,

I thought it was best not to T off on a microbore system? I dont know if that is best practise or not, it was just what i was told.

No reason why not in principle, but the branch would need to be balanced with the existing ones off the manifolds. If the new branch is also in microbore that shouldn't be a problem but if it was in 15mm then you might have to have the lockshield valve so close to closed as to make adjustment for balancing very difficult.

I've installed lots of microbore systems without manifolds, just using tees with reducers, or even a mixture of tees and manifolds. It makes no odds providing the system can be balanced. Microbore, if properly sized, is more or less self-balancing anyway, and with TRVs any imbalance will sort itself out as the building gets up to temperature.

daveturnbull said:
I want to find my manifold for my microbore central heating system so i can add a new radiator. My Boiler used to be in the kitchen but was moved by previous owner into upstairs cupboard. I dont think the manifold would have been moved though. Rather than just starting to take up floor boards looking for the manifold can anyone suggest any normal locations used to place manifolds?

Is there anything in your under stairs cupboard? A bit of boxing you have never investigated before may be?!

Bear in mind also that when you do find the manifold it may already be full, so Teeing off it may have to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back